Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV NOW on Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick

Tutor

DIRECTV NOW on Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick

I am evaluating DTV Now for use with my AT&T Homebase (250GB plan). I notice that when I watch on an iOS device, my data usage on my home base does not go up and in the reports that data/text and talk logs that data is categorized as "SP Data Data Free TV Video App" and it is not being subtracted from my 250GB data plan; however when I use my newly purchased Amazon Fire Stick Data is being categorized as Mobile Data and is definitely being subtracted from my data plan.

What is going wrong? Any ideas out there?

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by billyptx
‎07-25-2018 8:36 AM

Re: DIRECTV NOW on Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick

That is exactly as they document it.  When using mobile data - either directly or via hotspot - the data used by DirecTV Now for streaming (with a few small exceptions) is sponsored (free) when the DirecTV Now app is used (and video is viewed) on a mobile device (iOS or Android phone or tablet), but not when used on any other device (streaming device - like a Fire Stick - or computer).  This is spelled out in the fine print of a FAQ (and in the Terms and Conditions), admittedly not as clearly as they could have done so in either case (bad/confusing phrasing is unfortunately too common all through their provided info).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Tutor

Re: DIRECTV NOW on Amazon FireTV or Fire Stick

Yes I agree now... I had a long chat with a CSR last night and found this out after he directed me to a link on the DTV Now site. Funny thing, another CSR the night before told me he looked at my account and that I was not using my data. 

Personally, I wish they would place an asterisk on the compatible devices page so you can distinguish which devices use free data and which do not. 

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support