Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Charged $20 for updating payment method

Highlighted
Contributor

Charged $20 for updating payment method

Why when I changed my payment method to a new credit card, did I get charged $20? I already paid for this month and my next payment isn't due until the 21st of February.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by L8YLA75
‎01-31-2019 1:32 PM

Re: Charged $20 for updating payment method

That $20 was a "hold" placed on any new card to verify it is valid.

Usually such holds drop off in a day or two.

This is industry standard, done when you buy gas with a card as well as DTVN.

I'd keep an eye on your account to make sure it does drop off. If it doesn't contact chat support, but I'd be surprised if you need to.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

For all account and billing related matters, you must speak with an agent in chat. Select "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page - then select "DirecTV NOW" - select "Chat" in middle of screen or a bubble may appear at the bottom of page on the right side.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Typically it is a $1 charge. I'm fine with that but $20 just to check the validity of a card is a bit ridiculous. Sorry but a gas station has never held $20 for gas...just saying! I appreciate the feedback though and it now makes sense.

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Master

I felt $20 was high as well, I've never seen anything above $3 in the past.

But it might not be totally up to them, it depends on what deal they have struck with the card processors who make the rules.

Plus, recurring charges might require a larger hold than a one-time purchase like gas.

I just don't know, perhaps ask a banker? Asking support would almost certainly be futile. :-)

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

I now know that if the system tries once or 100 times to update account information the $20 charge (s) will continue to grow and the consumer has zero rights. No, it took over 12 days for the first 5 charges to be released. It’s wrong

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support