Explore & discover

Helpful Links

$35 go big grandfathered plans are getting increased in August.

Contributor

$35 go big grandfathered plans are getting increased in August.

So their $35 go big grandfathered plans are getting increased to$40 a month even though they are not supposed to increase the price. I spoke with DirecTV Now chat and a manger and they said they don't know how they are going to fix the price to go back for grandfathered in plans.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 97
ACE - Expert

Re: $35 go big grandfathered plans are getting increased in August.

Every package was increased by $5.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 97
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎07-09-2018 10:08 AM

They never said that they wouldn't raise the price.  What they said was:

Keep this special price for as long as you keep the package, subject only to future reasonable programming price increases applicable to all packages.

and that is what is happening - a price increase applicable to all packages.  Whether it is a reasonable price increase is a question that one could ask, but they aren't violating the "promise" they made originally.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 97
Contributor

I don't really have an issue with it going up but the agents I spoke to could not give a clear answer for the increase. One agent said it was a package increase. Then I was told it was a $5 maintenance fee.

Message 4 of 97
ACE - Expert

A reasonable answer would be that their content costs are going up - many of the content providers and the local affiliate stations are raising their prices to the carriers like DTVN, and those price increases need to be passed through as an increase in the package prices.  But they have also indicated that they are raising their prices to match industry standard rates, which seems less defensible.  And (whether coincidentally or not) all the other live streaming services have raised their prices $5 recently (except Hulu, which already charged $40 for their base plan) - YouTube TV raised their cost to $40 in March, Sling raised the cost of Orange about 10 days ago, and PS Vue raised all their subscriptions $5 the beginning of last week, right after DTVN did.

Message 5 of 97
Guru

DirectvNOW is supposed to have increased all plan prices, but the main website still shows the old prices and nowhere is written that there'll be an increase soon, not even in the fine print on the main page. Whats'a up?

Message 6 of 97
Guru

This -

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006539072-Price-change-FAQs

I see DirecTV also raised their prices but at least they admit it's because the content providers raised their prices. 

Message 7 of 97
Guru

This is what is called false advertising. This info should be on the main page, even in a footnote it would be okay in fine print. But to put this info hidden away in some article is very rude and if you ask me crooked and very much a scam. 

Message 8 of 97
Guru

Granted it is hard to find and maybe it's not meant to be found. Meaning maybe the date is not set in stone.

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I should know better. However I have not received an email notifying me of a price increase. Others have. Also a Google search will provide more info.

My account cycles in the next couple days and I will be able to see if there is any increase for August. If there is and they don't notify me in advance then I will be disappointed. 

Message 9 of 97
Tutor

I was just told this:

In order to ensure DIRECTV NOW can continue to bring both new and existing customers the best possible streaming experience, we need to bring this service in line with the live TV streaming market. This small increase helps ensure we can deliver an even better streaming service into the future.

Message 10 of 97
ACE - Expert

Makes sense. The increase is across all packages and we are still getting a good deal. All the other streaming services are increasing subscription also.

Message 11 of 97
Tutor

PS

It is just a typical att money grab.  All chat told me is sorry.  In my opinion they are just trying to get cheap grandfather plans to drop their service.

Message 12 of 97
ACE - Expert

For $5? Where are you going to get the same content for $40 when all the others are increasing fees also. Still a good deal, at least for me, having 100 channels and locals. To some it may not be as valuable. Of course they are always options if they fit your needs and you should pursue them.

Message 13 of 97
Guru

@plazzy

There is more to it than that. Per my post above DirecTv is raising their prices due to programming costs increasing. Since programming costs are effecting DirecTv it must also be effecting DirecTv Now. And btw...I would love to pay 40 for the Go Big package. There is no way I believe it's a money grab.

Message 14 of 97
Tutor

They never said that they wouldn't raise the price.  What they said was:

Keep this special price for as long as you keep the package, subject only to future reasonable programming price increases applicable to all packages.

and that is what is happening - a price increase applicable to all packages

But this is NOT what is happening - as per their FAQ's ... "The price of the Todo y Mas package isn’t changing."

Message 15 of 97
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support