We recognize and honor military, veterans and their families. Get 25% off our best unlimited plans.
The best prices for our Military families
Jonny440's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 4th, 2019 8:54 AM

Upgraded and Military Unlock for Overseas

I am currently stationed over seas in Europe and recently upgraded my phone when I was TDY in the States (from a paid off iPhone) and started monthly installments. I have cancelled my line/put my AT&T number on military hold as I did with my previous iPhone which was unlocked no problem.

My issue is this:

They are saying I need to pay off my phone before I can get it unlocked, due to the Civil Service Member Relief Act NOT covering new contracts entered into AFTER receiving PCS orders Overseas. However the website says the following:

"Submit an unlock request, if you’re on active duty. After you submit a request, we’ll ask for your temporary or permanent change of station (TCS or PCS military documents). You don’t have to complete your installment agreement or contracts to be eligible to unlock your device." (SOURCE: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1262649?gsi=49yxi4)

Should I just pay it off to unlock it OR can I make monthly installments (or freeze monthly installments) while Overseas and still get it unlocked? Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

AT&T is right.   Typically you are required to return a recent upgrade, or pay in full.  

Options

1.  Pay it off and unlock it.  Then do military cancelation with number hold.

Or

2.  Request military Unlock and continue to pay for line and installment you can’t use 

2 is a waste of money each month, and you already canceled your line as in 1.  So yeah, pay it off then AT&T will unlock 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.