scammer phone call from AT&T technical support

Contributor

scammer phone call from AT&T technical support

I received a call yesterday on my cell.  They said they were with At & T technical support. I was driving at the time so I really didn't have time to talk but I stupidly did.  They said that another customer's line had crossed with mine and that they wanted to make sure that I was not charged for any phone calls.  I said how is that possible and I would not be charged since I have unlimited phone and text.  He then sent me a text message to my phone from AT & T that showed up under the AT & T texts that I already have on my phone with a code and wanted me to put that number in I told him I am driving and can not do that so I just read him the code.  Now I am worried that this was some kind of scam and they may have hacked my phone.  Is that possible.  My sister had the same thing happen to her but she hung up on them.  She said she was told they were trying to use her account to get upgraded phones.  Is that true and is it possible that my phone has been hacked and if so what can i do to find out.  This is the number they called from ***

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: scammer phone call from AT&T technical support

patmcm1 wrote:

I received a call yesterday on my cell.  They said they were with At & T technical support. I was driving at the time so I really didn't have time to talk but I stupidly did.  They said that another customer's line had crossed with mine and that they wanted to make sure that I was not charged for any phone calls.  I said how is that possible and I would not be charged since I have unlimited phone and text.  He then sent me a text message to my phone from AT & T that showed up under the AT & T texts that I already have on my phone with a code and wanted me to put that number in I told him I am driving and can not do that so I just read him the code.  Now I am worried that this was some kind of scam and they may have hacked my phone.  Is that possible.  My sister had the same thing happen to her but she hung up on them.  She said she was told they were trying to use her account to get upgraded phones.  Is that true and is it possible that my phone has been hacked and if so what can i do to find out.  

Yes, that sure sounds like a scam. I would not worry, though. I know of no way to hack a phone through a text message as long as you don't click on any links in that text message and simply reading back the code of a text won't do anything. You said they asked you to "put that number in", put that number in where? It is most likely that act that would have either hacked your phone or resulted in an attempt to get your personal info.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Contributor

they wanted me to text the code back to them.  of course I couldn't since I was driving.  then he told me to delete the text message which stupidly I did.  Had I not been driving I would have check the number immediately.  I do that at work.  

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
N/A

patmcm1 wrote:

they wanted me to text the code back to them.  of course I couldn't since I was driving.  then he told me to delete the text message which stupidly I did.  Had I not been driving I would have check the number immediately.  I do that at work.  

Sounds like a scammer was trying to reset your online account password or passcode via text.

If Tech Support ever places an outbound call it only happens if you were to contact them first and happen to be disconnected.

I would double check your online account, reset password/passcode and all that.

Message 4 of 6
Contributor

Re: scammer phone call from AT

Thank you.  Since I didn't give them any info or text back I hope that I will be OK. 
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

This happened to us today, I called back the number and they answer saying AT&T Tech support, they give out different names every time I call, is there something we can do about this?

They actually accessed our account and entered a new user by the name of Joshua Battle..and entered an address from NEW YORK. We are so upset about this violation of privacy.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support