Helpful Links

one more data usage complaint

Contributor

one more data usage complaint

I am an older woman in my 50's so I am not on all the new apps out there etc. just for some basic background LOL.  I upgraded my phone from an Iphone 4 (I know dont laugh) to an Iphone SE on August 22, 2016. Have always had a shared plan with my husband of only 2 GB and never had an overage. Actually always had carryover data to the next month. Have wifi at home and at work as well. So what I want to know is why am I, since upgrading having overages. I realize that this phone is probably capable of connecting to apps that my old phone couldn't because it was so obsolete...however, I have wifi at the 2 places I spend the most time and I have 2 laptops at home so I have no need to use my phone at home as a computer. Just to make long distance calls. I know how to see what I have used etc. and but I dont care about that, what I want to know is how do I PREVENT that usage from happening outside of the standard "use wifi when possible" because, at least in my case apparently it is not making any difference. I am closely monitoring it at work because I guess you can connect for 2 hours and then you get booted off until you reconnect to the wifi, but I have done that  and seen it go back to LTE again within a short time. how can I just make it stop connecting unless wifi is available?  A lot of times i am streaming music and other people have told me that their music just stops. Mine on the other hand keeps on playing wifi or not. Even at that though I am pretty diligent about checking my connection so I cant see that it is going on for more than a couple of minutes. Please help I was at 90% usage this month within 4 days after my billing cycle BEGAN!

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert

Re: one more data usage complaint

Check your settings and see what apps are using the most data. If they are not critical apps, turn them off to cellular data.

Newer phone operating systems have a wifi assist that will revert your phone back to cellular data if the phone determines your wifi signal inadequate. Wifi assist is in your settings, Under Cellular, all the way at the bottom.

Set your updates to NOT use cellular data. Updates can use HUGE amounts of data in a short period.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

You switched from a 3G phone with possible data speeds of 2 Mbps to 4G LTE with data speeds over 100 - 1000 MBps. 

The screen resolution is higher, the processor is faster.  An LTE phone's uses 2-3 times more data than a 3G phone.  A 2 gig per phone is the data plan is usually recommended.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
Contributor

Thanks! My hubby still has a 4 and hardly uses anything it is all my usage that is the issue as you outlined above and I realize that just thought with all the wifi available to me it wouldnt make a difference. 

Message 4 of 7
Contributor

Ok so shut off the wifi assist? What about the cellular data button at the top? If I shut that off will it prevent me from connecting unless wifi is available? I had gone through and shut off different apps a couple days ago they werent using much anyway things like notes, reminders etc. but also facebook and facetime and contacts.

Message 5 of 7
ACE - Expert

You can turn off data usage for select apps in settings.  You might want to leave iMessage and FaceTime off.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 6 of 7
Employee

How to Turn Off Data on an iPhone in iOS 10

The steps in this section will show you how to disable data on an iPhone that is using iOS 10. These steps should be similar for most iPhone models using iOS 7 or higher. If you are using an iOS version where these steps don’t work, then continue down to the next section, where we discuss turning off data in an older version of iOS.

Step 1: Open the Settings menu.

open the iPhone settings menu

Step 2: Select the Cellular option.

turn off cellular data on an iphone

Step 3: Tap the button to the right of Cellular Data to turn it off.

how to turn off data on an iPhone 5

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support