Helpful Links

Wifi calling on GoPhone account a NoGo

Wifi calling on GoPhone account a NoGo

I finally upgraded to a smart phone.  Prior to purchase, I specifically asked if Wifi calling was supported since I have rotten cel phone reception at the house.  i.e. 1 bar (-113 dB)  Wifi calling is a must.  No problem, said the friendly rep at the AT&T store.  Activated the phone 2 days ago, hoping a newer phone would make a difference in reception.  No luck.  So I tried activating WiFi Calling.  I kept receiving an error (EDS0002) unable to activate Wifi calling on your device because of account type.  I returned to the AT&T store and the friendly rep today.  He got the same results.  After ~1 hr in the store while he contacted tech suppport, he finally reached 'Advanced Tech Support' for GoPhones who said, Wifi calling is not permtted except on 'post-paid accounts'.  i.e. NOT Go-Phones.  Which isn't a documented limitation.   The only AT&T solution seems to be to transfer to a more expensive (additional $20/mo) post-paid account.  So, it seems after being an AT&T customer for more than 20 years, I'll be switching carriers.  As I've found another carrier, who has a broad coverage area, offers Wifi calling for the dead zone around my home, all for $5/mo less than the GoPhone account.  It seems AT&T is shooting themselves in the foot making this decision for GoPhone accounts in a very competetive market.

Message 1 of 24

Re: Wifi calling on GoPhone account a NoGo

GLIMMERMAN76
ACE - Master

@Luger_Axehandle

I mean its pretty explanatory on the website what features are included.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

1. m'kay - you are saying that if it isn't on the list we don't get it on GoPhone? really??

2. care to share the equivalent link for the post-paid plan?

pretty explanatory? sheesh, ace...

Message 16 of 24
Contributor

I have a Go Phone and pay monthly. Pestered day and night for days to download this WiFi Calling  phone app extension or something I relented. It was 214 mg download. Now all I get is messages, constantly, 2-3 times a day to turn it on.

When I do turn Wi-Fi Calling on as requested I get this message.

" Oops! We are unable to activate Wi-Fi Calling on your device because of your account type. (EDS0002) "

You hit OK, then another message pops up "Please try to set up Wi-Fi Calling again later."

I see now from above conversations it will not work on a GoPhone. Yet I am bombarded with notifications to turn on Wi-Fi calling daily that I was pestered to download.

How do I turn off this notification? It is annoying. Thanks in advance.

Message 17 of 24
Contributor

I have the same thing. What new carrier did you use?

Message 18 of 24
Contributor

I agree that ATT really lacks in terms of satisfying its customers. I do have the same issue that you having and am going to ATT about it; however I decided not to because it will do nothing. Also, it is surprising to know that ATT can block your smart phone despite you buy it paying full price for not ATT retail places. In other words, ATT automatically locks your smart phone so you are not able to use different sim card for example T-mobile, or install CDMA service with Verizon or Sprint. Then I had to call ATT customer service requesting to unlock my smart phone, which additional step or hassle for un-educated customers in terms of not knowing ATT hidden tricks.

Now, I am just waiting for my monthly cycle to end and use all my paid data service to be used, and switch to Verizon  

Message 19 of 24
ACE - Expert

bbaa197 wrote:

I agree that ATT really lacks in terms of satisfying its customers.

Agreed.  They are last in this and it's a poor excuse. 

I do have the same issue that you having and am going to ATT about it; however I decided not to because it will do nothing. Also, it is surprising to know that ATT can block your smart phone despite you buy it paying full price for not ATT retail places.

Um, no.   All ATT phones are sold locked.  If you pay FULL RETAIL PRICE, you can get a phone unlocked.  Prepaid phones are NOT sold at full retail.   Because they are sold at a discount with the requirement you complete 6 months of paid service.   All prepaid carriers offer phone deals to get your service and most are locked for 12 months.  

In other words, ATT automatically locks your smart phone so you are not able to use different sim card for example T-mobile,

Once you qualify, your phone can be unlocked.  If you're stuck ask for help.

or install CDMA service with Verizon or Sprint.

Um....CDMA is a hardware configuration.  You cannot "install" CDMA.  Either a phone has it, or it doesn't.  Example:  iPhone 6s does.  iPhone 7 does NOT.

Then I had to call ATT customer service requesting to unlock my smart phone, which additional step or hassle for un-educated customers in terms of not knowing ATT hidden tricks.  All anyone has to do is ask.

Now, I am just waiting for my monthly cycle to end and use all my paid data service to be used, and switch to Verizon  hopefully you have checked your IMEI with Verizon or you are in for a disappointment.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 24
Contributor

I think u are extremely rude. Whoever Justin is. People have questions period. Your response was unnecessarily rude. To everyone else with these same questions AT&T is just like that Penny Pinchers trying to get the most they can for the least service they could care less about t h i e r true customers. Which is why most people are switching to better services. And a side note to anyone else who was offended by Justin's remarks and attitude you can contact AT&T and make a report on his attitude which is what needs to be done to ignorant people like him who talk down to people.

Message 21 of 24
ACE - Expert

victorialynn606 wrote:

I think u are extremely rude. Whoever Justin is. People have questions period. Your response was unnecessarily rude. To everyone else with these same questions AT&T is just like that Penny Pinchers trying to get the most they can for the least service they could care less about t h i e r true customers. Which is why most people are switching to better services. And a side note to anyone else who was offended by Justin's remarks and attitude you can contact AT&T and make a report on his attitude which is what needs to be done to ignorant people like him who talk down to people.

Not one person on this thread was rude.   Justin, for that matter is the OPPOSITE of rude in every post he has ever written.  

All the information on this thread is factual.  

Those who do work for ATT are posting on their own time and they are also posting factual responses.  

Im not sure what you find offensive.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 24
Contributor

yep, not happy with At&T for this.  I will look to see who offers it cheapest.  That is all I need in my store. It has firewalls.

Message 23 of 24
Employee

Just because a phone has an option doesn't mean it's a requirement for a carrier to allow any of those options. Wi-Fi Calling requires back-end network configuration (which costs the carrier in both expense and resources) in order to work.

Parity should not be an expectation among different price structures. And no it's not bad customer service nor is it rude to say so. Those who pay more get more features. That's true of almost any industry.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 24
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support