Helpful Links

Unexplained data usage

Contributor

Unexplained data usage

Says on my account online that one if my phones used 10 gigs. Just overnight. Not possible and att won't do much (no credit af course after years of being a customer). Anyone else have this issue?
Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert

Re: Unexplained data usage

@M12marrob Why not possible?

Check your phones logs, should be easy enough to see.

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 2 of 12
    Contributor

Sorry went back and clarified that this was overnight. In all of our years with att we have never had an issue like this.
    Message 3 of 12
    ACE - Expert

@M12marrob wrote:
    Sorry went back and clarified that this was overnight. In all of our years with att we have never had an issue like this.

I'm not sure what you clarified? 

How much does your phone say you used?

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 4 of 12
    Contributor

Yesterday my account online saif I had only used 2 gigs. Today says 12. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. Don't know what in the world could have used 10 gigs in 1 day. I would like to know where those gigs went. How can you find that out?
    Message 5 of 12
    ACE - Expert

@M12marrob wrote:
    Yesterday my account online saif I had only used 2 gigs. Today says 12. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. Don't know what in the world could have used 10 gigs in 1 day. I would like to know where those gigs went. How can you find that out?

Look in your phone settings.

Message 6 of 12
    ACE - Expert

@M12marrob   As @garylapointe asked, look at the phone (not your online account).

Your phones are independant meters of data use.  Look in settings, data usage.   It shows use by application.  If your phone indicates it used data, then it did.  It should also show which application used an unusually high amount of data. 

As for how -  easy.  Video can use 1-2 gigs per hour.  The culprit may turn out to be YouTube or other video app that is not restricted and ran in the background all night.  More likely, the data was used the day before and the app not closed until the user went to bed.  Data wouldn't be reported until several hours after the phone stops using data with that app.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 7 of 12
    Contributor

Was this issue ever resolved?  Did your phone report the usage?  What app?  The same thing happened to our account.  Never even got close to using all our data.  Then all the sudden, 7 GB in one day!  No explanation.  And have no idea what caused it.  Not getting any help from AT&T either.  

Message 8 of 12
    ACE - Expert

@slgs17 wrote:

Was this issue ever resolved?  Did your phone report the usage?  What app?  The same thing happened to our account.  Never even got close to using all our data.  Then all the sudden, 7 GB in one day!  No explanation.  And have no idea what caused it.  

And what does your phone settings say used most of the data?

Message 9 of 12
    ACE - Expert

@slgs17

Look in your phone settings, data usage.

image.jpegimage.jpegliz f.jpgliz c.jpgliz a.jpg

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are customers too, NOT employees. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 10 of 12
    Contributor

But I'm confused...why am I getting my "Data Usage Warning" when I only use these apps within wifi range? I DID check my phone usage and it indicates Youtube is the culprit but I ONLY use Youtube at home within my WIFI! How is it that I'm using up the data alotted in my package?!
    Message 11 of 12
    ACE - Expert

@Deblynnq  Then either your phone is not staying connected while at home, or you are not disconnecting from YouTube when you leave home.  You can change setting within YouTube to limit use in the background and restrict it to wifi only.  

Please be aware ATT (or any other carrier) does not control your phone.  

Message 12 of 12
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support