Really disappointed in the AT&T Unlimited plans compared to V and TMobile

Highlighted

Really disappointed in the AT&T Unlimited plans compared to V and TMobile

I was excited to see what Verizon and TMobile have done with their unlimited plans and was looking forward to what AT&T did to compete.  But the new plan's a duds and I may have to switch.  

1.  I have a couple of tablets on the $10 access fee to use my shared data on my family plan.  On the "Unlimited" plan they are $40 EACH.  or i can put them on their own $10 for 1 GB plan.  Ridiculous.  

2.  No personal hotspots???  I bet I use this every other month for less than 500 MB.  But when I need it I NEED IT.  How can this not be an option at all?  Even Verizon gives 10GB at LTE and then unlimited at 600 mbps!   And AT&T just says "no?"

These are flawed plans IMHO.  

Message 1 of 14
Employee

Re: Really disappointed in the AT&T Unlimited plans compared to V and TMobile

No carrier can be forced to match a competitor in this industry. It all comes down to finding what fits your needs. In my experience hoping that a carrier makes a policy change or makes a move that will match another carrier is waiting for something that may never, ever happen.  That's just the reality of cellular service.

So my advice is to go with the service that fits your needs. If pricing and tethering are that important and a particular carrier doesn't offer that then the only option is to vote with your wallet and go with what does work for you.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 14

Yeah, I understand "no carrier can be forced to match a competitor" but obviously the 4 main carriers update their plans on a regular basis to enchance their competitive position or respond to the offers of other competitors.  That was what I was hoping would happen and what did happen 

All I am saying as a long term AT&T customer, is that these plans are flawed as they do not offer what the competitors - all 3 of the other main competitors - offer.  It is feedback.  If AT&T's preference is that I give feedback "with my wallet" then I guess I will do that.  Generally, communication and verbal feedback from customers is appriciated.  

I'm glad that your opinion doesn't "necessarily represtent AT&T's...opinion."  You seem uninterested in feedback on the shortcomings of the current offering.  

Have a great day.  

Message 3 of 14

@David606 Definitely no carrier is forced to match a competitor in the industry - but exactly what growth strategy is AT&T trying to achieve? It's been continually losing subscribers for quarter after quarter and now not entering the competitive arena to aggressively target new / retain old customers seems like a mistake. Even Verizon after posted worse than expected earnings realized they needed to do something to remain relevant - so they entered the Unlimited Arena and did so in a surprising fashion. 

To @robertpetry's point, the industry has changed and AT&T apparently it not willing to change with it and will be left behind by letting subscribers flee and not attract new business with their approach.

Then again, what do I know (besides being a T shareholder)... Let's let the quarterly earnings speak for themselves and operating results... I have a feeling it's going to be ugly. 

Message 4 of 14
ACE - Expert

@robertpetry Look at some of the other threads on this subject, I think you will see everyone agrees with you that ATT's response was inadequate. Personally, I believe ATT was caught off guard by Verizon's plan and this is the best they can do in a week. Believe it or not, it takes awhile to put a whole new plan with new pricing and features in place. I could be wrong but I believe there will be additional changes to ATT's plan including pricing changes and adding hotspot. I just hope it doesn't take too long.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

I think we all agree this was a disappointing response, after 4 days of dead quiet.     

ATT could have at least said, "coming soon".  

ATT lost around a million connections in a year.  I would like to know how many it will lose in the next month to Verizon's new plan.

ATT has been struggling with poor managed promotions, faulty customer service (foreign call centers need to go), lack of technology for non branded phones (had voice and wifi calling), and high tech for branded devices that doesn't work well (number sync, HD voice) and Combined billing is a nightmare.

I think this is the last straw for many customers who thought they couldn't afford Verizon, and couldn't have or didn't want ATT TV service.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 14
Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm giving Att one more billing cycle before I move to Verizon.
They need to have a similar, competitive unlimited plan to survive.
Message 7 of 14

@lizdance40

I do believe it takes a while to get a new plan approved.  I'm sure there is a business case, financial and marketing analysis, reviews and approvals, materials and training.  I'm sure it takes a while.  

All I am saying is they were caught flat footed, offered what they could quickly, and need to react ASAP.  I hope you are right and they will.  They need to add tethering, drop the single line price, and come up with a better solution for adding tablets.   Data is data is data.  Each device is throttled at 22 GB anyway so what is the difference.  

And with tabets?  Device fees are nearly pure profit as putting a SIM in my tablet could not cost them even half the $40 they charge.  

I'm just here making my opinion known to AT&T.  If they are not interested, that is fine.  But at least I provided the feedback. 

Message 8 of 14

@lizdance40 your right - a simple coming soon would have sufficed to at least keep some subscribers waiting around. Between the promotions (they are so bad I don't remember any of them yet I often remember T-Mobile/Sprint annoying commercials or Verizon plastering ads all over town about Unlimited now) and the abysmal customer service (you couldn't be more correct, foreign call centers HAVE to go) it doesn't look promosing.

I agree with all, this quarter will be interesting to watch the results as all of the other 3 large carriers aligned themselves for unlimited rate plans to compete... the DTV Now gains (i.e. 1 & 3 month pre-paid promos will be ending) will likely fade... and the combined requirements of ATT unlimited / DTV service are gone... I fear ATT is in for a rough one. As a fellow shareholder like many others I do worry and hope they at least show up with a more aggressive strategy than what we have all been given.... cause it's been forgettable already

Message 9 of 14
ACE - Expert

I'm interested in your point of view, on tablets especially.
robertpetry wrote:

@lizdance40

I do believe it takes a while to get a new plan approved.  I'm sure there is a business case, financial and marketing analysis, reviews and approvals, materials and training.  I'm sure it takes a while.  

I'm sure your right.  A public, "hang on, we are here to serve our customers better!" Would have gone a long way with customers who are switching as I write this.  (My morning route takes me between an ATT and Verizon store.  Guess who has a couple customers and who has a packed store?)

All I am saying is they were caught flat footed, offered what they could quickly, and need to react ASAP.  I hope you are right and they will.  They need to add tethering, drop the single line price, and come up with a better solution for adding tablets.   Data is data is data.  Each device is throttled at 22 GB anyway so what is the difference.  Agreed.  They gotta up there game.

And with tabets?  Device fees are nearly pure profit as putting a SIM in my tablet could not cost them even half the $40 they charge.  The line fee option for tablets is $10 for 1 gig or $40 for unlimited.   Some one with home wifi might not need unlimited on a tablet.  Someone without would easily use 100 gigs.    

I'm just here making my opinion known to AT&T.  If they are not interested, that is fine.  But at least I provided the feedback.   The more the better.  ATT seems to have stopped listening over a year ago.   Can they hear us now?

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 10 of 14

@robertpetry And @lizdance40 -- WELL SAID!

Message 11 of 14

And I will second the statement about passing a local AT&T and Verizon store... so far the past few days the Verizon store has been packed with people and yet the AT&T store hasn't had more than a person or two in it... Could be coincidence or sheer luck when I travel by the stores, but foot traffic drives sales and that's not a good sign.

Message 12 of 14
Tutor

I have 9 lines of service with AT&T and the new unlimited data plan will cost $380 per month and it does NOT include mobile hotspot data. Alternatively, Verizon's new unlimited plan would cost $280 and include 10GB of hotspot data PER line. I talked to an AT&T Rep and they said that AT&T cannot compete with this new Verizon plan and said they would switch providers if they were in the same position. I can't believe that AT&T is going to risk losing so many loyal customers such as myself. But the $100 monthly price difference and no mobile hotspot data is substantial.
Message 13 of 14

@grschafer that's crazy an ATT sales rep said to switch! Ugh... ATT really needs to get more competitive with their latest offerings!

Message 14 of 14
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support