Helpful Links

AT&T Mobile Customer Phone Support is Horrible and Unaccountable. What can be done?

Teacher

AT&T Mobile Customer Phone Support is Horrible and Unaccountable. What can be done?

Call #1: Ordered a new SIM card for an older iphone I want to activate on my son's line. Order was placed but assigned to my daughters line.

Call #2: Caught the first support person's mistake on the confirmation email, and called again to fix it. The second support person told me not to worry. The card will still work when trying to activate on my son's line.

Call #3: When activating the SIM card on the new phone, using my son's number on the web page, it activated my daughters number on the phone instead. Now my daughter has no phone and we are getting her calls and messages. She is away at college and no way to reach her. Spoke to the third support person for 45 minutes to resolve the issue, and was told she put in a ticket, and things should be fixed in an hour.

Call #4: An hour and a half later, phones were still not working so called back. Apparently no notes were attached to my account by the previous support person, and no ticket was submitted. So another 1/2 hour on the phone. This time I got the first and last name of the support person and the ticket number. 

If a support person can take a call, and it is left to their discretion whether on not to note that call in my file, that leads to the lack of accountability that I experienced, not only on this occasion, but in the past with other AT&T services. 

The issue is still not resolved but I will check back with either a happy ending or more details.

Message 1 of 5
Teacher

Re: AT&T Mobile Customer Phone Support is Horrible and Unaccountable. What can be done?

Call #5 was to confirm that the previous support person actually submitted a ticket this time, which they did. However they told me it would be resolved in 1 - 4 hrs.

Call #6: After 12 hrs and no resolution called back to find out why the issue still wasn't resolved. Was told the tech magicians probably went home for the night and they would look at it when they came back in the morning.

Call #7: Was told that it could take up to 72 hrs to resolve the problem. 

Message 2 of 5
Teacher

Re: AT&T Mobile Customer Phone Support is Horrible and Unaccountable. What can be done?

Call #8: Talked to "Anna" who refused to give me her last name or employee ID for security reasons. Spend 20 minutes trying to explain the situation, which she never was able to understand. I was able to have her read back to me what was written on the ticket submitted as a result of call #5. She didn't  understand what it meant, but basically it said that the issue had been resolved yesterday, and the sim card (which one - I don't know) could be reactivated. I tried to activate it and, surprise, received an error that there were no phones on the account eligable for activation, or something to that effect.

Call #9: Talked to Wynn who said once a sim card is activated it can't be assigned to another number, so I would need to order two new sim cards. After a hard sell sales job on my part I got him to agree to check with his supervisor about waiving the priority shipping fees. Luckily there is a special going on now with free priority shipping, so he didn't have to bother his/her royal highness. When the order confirmation came through to my email, both SIM cards were backordered and one said is was for an LG rather than an iPhone. I was also again signed up for paperless billing for the 10th time without my consent and had to go on to the website to switch it back to paper billing.

Call #10: Asked about the SIM card being for an LG rather than an iPhone as was told it was "probably" the same size and would work. If it was wrong I could call them back and they would fix it. Yay. Looking forward to it. 

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Teacher

Turns out the customer service rep from Call 10 sent the SIM cards out Fed Ex 2 day instead of express priority as I requested. I will be getting them Monday instead of today. Now I get to drive 2 hrs to give my daugher the phone her number was activated to, so she won't be unreachable over the weekend.

Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

The first rep really messed up.  That SIM card never should have been activated.  

Once deactivated a SIM card has to be replaced.  

To activate an old phone on an existing line, take it to an ATT store.

They sent out a preprogrammed SIM card for your daughters line.  And anyone working for ATT should know that would do exactly what it did.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support