For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Parker53018's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 16th, 2018 6:19 PM

why am I charged for some calls to italy and not others?

I have been making occasional callst o Italy since October 2017.  All of a sudden, I was charged for every call, whereas I was not charged previously.  I have WiFi and it is on permanently.  I have been dealing with AT&T over this issue, but I get different information as to why this happens with each person I talk to.  How can I get the correct answer to this problem? No one else calling my daughter in Italy gets charged $15 a month for some international

"deal". I have been told to "Use Whatsapp", "No! Use Facetime audio, "no, Use Facetime video"

Who actually knows what to use???? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Parker53018 wrote:

I have been making occasional callst o Italy since October 2017.  All of a sudden, I was charged for every call, whereas I was not charged previously.  I have WiFi and it is on permanently.  I have been dealing with AT&T over this issue, but I get different information as to why this happens with each person I talk to.  How can I get the correct answer to this problem? No one else calling my daughter in Italy gets charged $15 a month for some international

"deal". I have been told to "Use Whatsapp", "No! Use Facetime audio, "no, Use Facetime video"

You can use whatever suits you best to call your daughter. 

However, it sounds like you are currently using AT&T's cellular network to call sometimes, which is why you're being charged. If you want to guarantee that doesn't happen, turn off cellular data prior to making the call, so it is 100% impossible to use AT&T's network . 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@Parker53018 wrote:

You can use whatever suits you best to call your daughter. 

However, it sounds like you are currently using AT&T's cellular network to call sometimes, which is why you're being charged. If you want to guarantee that doesn't happen, turn off cellular data prior to making the call, so it is 100% impossible to use AT&T's network . 

Even that may not prevent you from being charged if you have WiFi calling. You may need to disable WiFi calling also.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

Good point, @sandblaster

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I don't know whether I have "WiFi Calling", or don't have it!  I can't find "calling" under my WiFi on my phone, but my WiFi is through Spectrum!  I'm spending my life troubleshooting what I believe should be easily determined.  Thanks for the additional suggestion.  I'll search for "WiFi Calling" ...

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Parker53018 wrote:

I don't know whether I have "WiFi Calling", or don't have it!  I can't find "calling" under my WiFi on my phone, but my WiFi is through Spectrum!  I'm spending my life troubleshooting what I believe should be easily determined.  Thanks for the additional suggestion.  I'll search for "WiFi Calling" ...

What type of phone do you have? On iPhones its in the "cellular" option. 

I'm not familiar with Android, but if my Googling skills are on point, it looks like you go to Advanced Calling. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

If you are not sure if you have WiFi calling, you probably don’t as it has to be specifically enabled. If you don’t know how to disable it, unlikely you ever enabled it. If you see “AT&T WiFi” on your phone display instead of just “AT&T”, then you have WiFi calling. When in airplane mode with WiFi turned on, all you should see is the airplane mode symbol and the WiFi symbol.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.