Need help understanding your bill?
Clarahana's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, August 20th, 2017 5:21 AM

"Equipment Charge" placed on Bill with Warranty/Exchange

Hi,
On 7/28 I recieved my refurbised Iphone 7 plus as an exchange for going through with the Warranty Exchange program.
I sent in my defective Iphone on 7/29 and recieved an email from ATT that they got my defective phone on 8/16. ( kept checking the tracking to make sure it went properly)
Today (8/19) i casually looked at my att app and was floored to find that my billing statement from 7/15 to 8/14 has a Wireless Equiptment Charge of $850 tacked on to my bill!!!
The autopay is on Sept 3 so I still have 2 weeks before my card is charged, but is this the normal process of Warranty Exchange???

i have not recieved any info in regards to the defective phone other than that it was recieved. If there is no water/physical damage do they credit the bill in time for my card to get charged??

Please help me with guidance/advice. Calling ATT customer service has always been so problematic, i am hoping someone on the forum can give me some information here..

Thank you for your time in reading my concerns.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Check your email.  You should have been emailed full information on what damage and photos and I think they ship the phone back (not sure)

You were dealing with Apple?   Only Apple can cover your warranty.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

ATT does not do warranty exchanges for iPhones, only Apple does. I think you got charged for a new iPhone. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for your replies.
I had to deal with ATT.
So, in the beginning the phone that was acting up was a iphone 6 plus that was replaced with Asurion. i did a insurance claim back in January of 2017, and with that Since it was within a year and the phone was replaced my Asurion, ATT said that the defective phone can be replaced under the Warranty Exchange program. I recieved the refurbished iPhone 7 plus since the iphone 6 was no longer in stock..
the warranty customer service did not say anthing about having to go to Apple for this issue, he informed me of the steps to take through ATT to replace the defective phone, but did not say anything about placing a charge when they placed the replacement order...

The only email i recieved was on 8/16 that they have accepted my defective phone in the mail.
No email in regards to any damages they found on the phone..

Thank u again for your inputs and information, im such a nervous wreck as to why they have charged and whether they credit back or not if my phone passed inspection...

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Acccording to section 4.   https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1044996

Verify warranty support channel - AT&T provides warranty support with the following exceptions:
New or Apple-replacement Apple-branded device - Contact Apple Support for troubleshooting and warranty support.
Apple support in U.S. Territories - If you are in Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, see Supporting Apple devices in U.S. territories.
AT&T Certified Restored Apple-branded device - AT&T provides troubleshooting and warranty support for 90 days after purchase.
Asurion Insurance Exchange device received within last 30 days - Call Asurion at 888.562.8662 for warranty support (including Apple-branded devices).
Asurion Insurance Exchange device received more than 30 days ago - AT&T provides troubleshooting and warranty support up to one year after replacement date (including Apple-branded devices).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

UPDATE

Thank you lizdance 40.
Reading the section 4 part "Asurion Insurance Exchange device received more than 30 days ago - AT&T provides troubleshooting and warranty support up to one year after replacement date (including Apple-branded devices)." i called billing and tried to figure it out.
After 40 mins on phone, cust rep and management found that it was an error on ATT'a part so they will credit the charge!!!

Thank you again all! And for those who ever go through what i went through, call billing before they auto charge you! Its not a common error but it can happen and shock you until they open a case to fix it!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Thank goodness!   Glad you got it figured out.  

Im a bit perturbed though.  An $850 accidental billing is distressing ( as you know)

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Lizdance40

Tell me about it!!
So they charged me the day they ordered the replacement, and even if it was an error on their part, they cant just reverse it or clear it off but rather have to open a case on the issue and "credit" the charge!
What distressed me the most is that working on a case can take up to two weeks, barely enough time to credit back into my account before my autopay gets charged!
Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.