Need help understanding your bill?
nanook9960's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, August 27th, 2016 3:23 PM

poor customer service

I'm writing to share a scenario that every AT&T customer should understand.

My Mother is a senior citizen that has been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years. We found her a less expensive plan (she does not use text or internet). We switched on June 30th and AT&T charged her through July 15th. May not seem like a big deal, but when you are on a fixed income, every dollar counts. I spoke with a manager and they were UNWILLING to do the right thing.

Share this with your family, friends and coworkers.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Me too AT&T is the WORST with customer service and OUTRIGHT lies!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@nanook9960 Her agreement with AT&T says the last month is NOT prorated (most carriers do not prorate).

If every dollar counts, it seems like you could have asked. I'm not trying to be a brat, but it's a pretty simple question, you say "we" twice so I would think you were there and I'm guessing you didn't ask either.

I can totally understand being bummed for a half-month's cell bill, but you come here and create a new community forum account just so you complain to us. If you'd have come here and asked beforehand we would have told you, same amount of work, with a much better end result. 

A quick search here and you'd have found this out, no question necessary (same for google).

@Johnlock6755 Your agreement says the same thing. This issue has nothing to do with lies. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have worked with them over the years to ensure my Mother had the least expensive plan for her needs.

Again, it's about 'doing the right thing' by the customer (not the large corporation). Not charging a senior citizen for half a month will cost AT&T much more in the long run as they will lose customers.   I have managed customer service departments for years and fully understand 'how to treat/satisfy' customers.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@nanook9960 I understand and I'd try and get the half month back too, you have nothing to lose, but don't blame AT&T. They're not perfect but they didn't do anything wrong here...

If you were renting an apartment by the month and just told them you were leaving in the middle of the month, would you assume they'd prorate the apartment? You'd probably assume no, but you'd probably ask. But if it was an issue, you'd have moved out on the last day, right? You have a monthly service and you didn't think to ask about proration; not AT&Ts fault and they probably still would have charged you even if you asked, it just wouldn't have been a suprise.

Technically, they are following the agreement she had with them, it's not like they charged her for an extra two weeks, they charged her for the whole month. If you were doing the right thing, you'd just pay it. They didn't trick a senior into anything (I'm going to continue to think you were part of the process since you didn't say no when I said it last time and since made it sound like you manage her plan). 

Would you have really have waited two weeks to cancel or just done it then and ate the $25-$40?

You've been with them 10 years, but you left them. You don't have much of a negotiating stance at this point. We see this in the forums all the time (I've never seen anyone come back and say they got a refund). I'm under them impression most of the carriers do this (did you check her new plan?). 

I'm not going to be mad at them because I didn't ask, and because that's what they agreement says. Nor am I going to tell everyone "look what AT&T is doing to this little old lady". I'm probably going to be mad at myself for not thinking about asking the question.

Again, I'd try and get the half month back too. 

Seriously, if you get the refund, please come back and tell others how you did it. Start a new thread and call it "how we got AT&T to prorate our last month". People would love to know it's possible!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.