Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iPhone Xs Max locked or unlocked - Is there a Difference in features/plan availability/performance?

Highlighted
Tutor

iPhone Xs Max locked or unlocked - Is there a Difference in features/plan availability/performance?

I am going to purchase outright an iPhone Xs Max.  I have an AT&T legacy plan which I will keep.  I read that At&T offers the option for voice-over-LTE and wi-fi calling only on AT&T carrier locked phone at initial purchase, not unlocked ones.  Is this true and are there other features in specifying an AT&T carrier phone at Apple store purchase that won’t be there vs Apple store unlocked phone which is ported to my AT&T plan?  Availability of my specific iphone model wanted at this time prompts this unlocked vs locked purchase at this time.

Message 1 of 15
ACE - Professor

Re: iPhone Xs Max locked or unlocked - Is there a Difference in features/plan availability/performan

@psufan44  I purchased the unlocked iPhone Xs from Apple and have ATT.  Inserted my SIM and did a restore. No problem using VOLTE and WiFi calling or any of the other ATT functions including ATT Call Protect.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15
ACE - Expert

Re: iPhone Xs Max locked or unlocked - Is there a Difference in features/plan availability/performan

@Fl_retire wrote:

@psufan44  I purchased the unlocked iPhone Xs from Apple and have ATT.  Inserted my SIM and did a restore. No problem using VOLTE and WiFi calling or any of the other ATT functions including ATT Call Protect.  

Only ANDROID phones have the unlocked phone limitations with enhanced LTE services.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15
Tutor

Thanks for the response.  If there is no functional difference for having an unlocked vs locked purchase with AT&T, then would I assume it's a marketing driver for offering the lock/unlock option (different financing/upgrade plans, Apple store/AT&T store etc.).  I was told if I purchase a locked AT&T carrier phone at the Apple Store, it could be unlocked immediately if fully paid at purchase.  I have scanned some message board posts on this subject and noted some people have had issues getting phones unlocked.

Message 4 of 15
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by psufan44
‎09-24-2018 4:57 PM

@psufan44 wrote:

Thanks for the response.  If there is no functional difference for having an unlocked vs locked purchase with AT&T, then would I assume it's a marketing driver for offering the lock/unlock option (different financing/upgrade plans, Apple store/AT&T store etc.).

Not so much the locked/unlocked option, but purchasing through AT&T vs. elsewhere. I have no idea why someone would purchase a carrier-locked iPhone unless they bought from AT&T. 

I was told if I purchase a locked AT&T carrier phone at the Apple Store, it could be unlocked immediately if fully paid at purchase.

Assuming you're an existing customer, that should be true. Service must be active for at least 60 days, so new customers will have to wait that long. Again, I don't see a reason to do so. 

I have scanned some message board posts on this subject and noted some people have had issues getting phones unlocked.

Unfortunately, yes. Most don't, but those who do really have a heck of a time. 

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 15
ACE - Expert

Yes, a marketing driver as in to use ATT’s financing program, you must buy the locked ATT model. I don’t know about the new model but past models also had a hardware difference. The ATT and T-Mobile versions had different hardware that did not include CDMA radios meaning even unlocked, those phones woudn’t work on Verizon’s or Sprint’s CDMA network. 

Message 6 of 15
ACE - Sage

The good news is the phones are all universal this time around.   

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/

And the sim free model is available unlocked out of the box now, rather than a 4 to 6 week wait.  

Att unlocking rules are a pain in the rear.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 15
ACE - Professor

Found this on Apple Xs Max models.  

Looks like CMDA and GSM radios are in the phone. 

https://www.apple.com/iphone-xs/specs/

https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-xs-max-model-number-a1921-a2101-a2102-a2104-differences/

Message 8 of 15
Tutor

Thank you
Message 9 of 15
Tutor

Thank you
Message 10 of 15
Contributor

how to unlock a iPhone se

Message 11 of 15
Contributor

I just got a new iPhone Xs from the Apple store this past weekend and for whatever reason when I went to restore it in iTunes, it gave me the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked."  I purchased an AT&T version at the Apple Store with their iPhone upgrade plan (0% for 24 months with AppleCare+).  Maybe they are all unlocked if you buy them from Apple.

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Expert

@DGMVW1 wrote:

I just got a new iPhone Xs from the Apple store this past weekend and for whatever reason when I went to restore it in iTunes, it gave me the "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked."  I purchased an AT&T version at the Apple Store with their iPhone upgrade plan (0% for 24 months with AppleCare+).  Maybe they are all unlocked if you buy them from Apple.

its not carrier locked since you used apple financing and not the ATT next program.

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

I bought a locked iphone xs max, I used unlockallcellular.com to unlocked, was very easy.

Message 14 of 15

Go for unlocked so they can LOCK your decision in their favor and hold you hostage by refusing to unlock your phone if there's a dispute.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support