Need help understanding your bill?
Lynon's profile

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Wednesday, March 27th, 2019 6:08 PM

Closed

iMessages not showing up on text logs

Since AT&T went to a new billing format, text messages via iMessage (iPhone to iPhone) do not show up on text logs.  Is there any way to view all text messages including iMessages?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

iMessages have never shown up on AT&T text logs. They are just data and AT&T has no access to them.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

No, he is not wrong. iMessages have never been on the text log. iMessage is an Apple system, ATT has no access to their system and never has. Any number you see on old bills just mean those were not iMessages. You do realize that not all iPhone to iPhone messages are necessarily iMessages, yes? 

• 

5 Messages

I’ll disagree with the above replies. I know there can be glitches in any system, nothing’s perfect. But me and my wife have had iPhones since 2008 and since iMessage has been available, we’ve used it. Now, with that being said 3 years ago we decided that our 11 year old daughter needed a phone, since she traveled for sports etc. So we got her a iPhone And set up the setting just as we have ours so she knew how to use it, as she got on ours here and there. We had and still have the unlimited talk/text/data plan so we knew cellular data wouldn’t be a problem. And Since as long as I can remember att allows you to review your Previous bills for up to 15 months, current billing cycle included. And I know for a fact on my MyAT&T app (under usage>View additional usage(full website)>select device number>choose between TEXT/DATA or TALK and what billing period you want to review) I’ve been able to see every Incoming/Outgoing text, weather it’s TXT/IM/MMS/SMS or data usage/mobile data. But on every message it shows either the phone number or the contact/nickname next to the DATE and TIME of each incoming/outgoing message. It didn’t ever not show a number or contact name until the first week of April 2020. Now it’s hit or miss. Maybe 4 numbers will show up here and there. And they are usually a verification or reminder text that’s only 5-6 digits long. Neither android or iOS seems to show on a att bill anymore. All data usage. But never missed a number until April 2020!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

@Dhthom
Logic says that's not true. One, because people have been complaining about it for YEARS, so it didn't just happen last month. What probably did happen, is your child's last update prompted her to turn on iMessage, or it was suggested by someone when SMS wouldn't go through.
Apple explains how iMessage works:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006

https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/27/apple-explains-exactly-how-secure-imessage-really-is/

Or this t-mo? On macrumors thread, same reply:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imessage-and-your-carrier.1586184/

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

@Dhthom Unfortunately, I cant prove a negative but anyone claiming they have seen iMessages in their ATT text log should be able to prove it, yet I’ve never seen such proof provided. If you can, please do. I bet you can’t.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

iMessage is encrypted end to end there is no way att can know it's a text. Now if the iPhone was sending the message as sms then yeah I can see that. As we go away from sms everything is going to show as data only

• 

1 Message

i Have wondered the same. Picture below is a screen shot from my AT&T bill. The first is my line. My friend Lorrie appears as text/IM. She texted my husband on 5/15 which I saw but it does not appear on his line on AT&T. Settings are the same on our phones.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Cef218 I’m not calling you a liar. No reason to get defensive. If you see a message in your message log, then it was an SMS or MMS message, not an iMessage. Like I said, you can either believe me or not but iMessages have never been in ATT’s message log. As has been stated before, iMessage is an Apple system and ATT does not now nor have they ever had access to Apple’s messaging system. That is simply stating a fact but go ahead and believe whatever you want. I’m sure there is an explanation for what you are seeing but iMessage in your ATT message log is not one of them. I hope you realize that an iPhone may send a message as both an iMessage and as an SMS/MMS message, so you might think you are seeing iMessages in your log, but you aren’t.

• 

5 Messages

@lizdance40

@GLIMMERMAN76

I don’t know why this posted this morning. I was going threw some forums last night about some questions I had in regards to my bill with att and we I saw the post had been years ago I closed the browser. Got email alerts about responses. Sorry guys. I was googling some of this stuff last night and it’s recently been going on with my att bill. Every number in the last 14 months have been showing up on both call and text and as of April 2020 every number now shows data usage. Only 3-4 numbers have been consistent. But Apple and android have been showing in my detailed billing until recently. Now not even android does. My daughter just turned 14 and afraid she’s hanging with the wrong crowd and Afraid the husband may blow a gasket if he finds out what I think I know. Is there anyway to figure out who she’s text without having to install a app on her phone she could find and delete? A friend told me to use an old iPhone and as long as it has WiFi I could set it up to monitor her phone. Is that true? I don’t really want to know what the text or calls are saying. Just who she’s speaking to all hours of the night. Thanks.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

A fourteen-year-old who suddenly goes dark as far as text messages is probably using an application like Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Instagram which will have no record of texts.

Since she has an iPhone you could install parental controls which will turn off screen time at certain hours, and can prevent her from using certain applications. But it will also drive a tremendous wedge between you and your daughter and create an awful lot of fights. You have about four years of those to go through, I'm sure you don't want to make things worse.

Good luck.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

You are wrong.  I looked at my old paper bill and numbers texted thru iMessages did show up.  Since they went to a new paper bill format, calls, text and data logs are not listed at all.  I can view the logs online, but iMessages are not displayed.  So why did AT&T decide not to include a record of all activity on the new paper bills?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry, but I am looking at my online bills from last 6 months & ALL my messages are on there.  now not only are imessages not showing up, but neither are android.   so this person is NOT wrong.   

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Cef218 wrote:

Sorry, but I am looking at my online bills from last 6 months & ALL my messages are on there.  now not only are imessages not showing up, but neither are android.   so this person is NOT wrong.   

Yes, they are. iMessages have never been on the ATT bill or text log, period. You can either believe it or not but it is a fact. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I am freaking looking at them!!   lol.     my last 6 billing periods are showing them.   not current period but previous are.  I don't know who you are or who you think you are but don't you dare call me a liar.  I have a work ticket now from AT&T because they see the previous months too. I certainly have no reason to question it if it wasnt happening.  Iv had the same# & been with AT&T since 1995.  you need to get a life and an attitude adjustment.  u really think people just make these questions up?  how dare you!!

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

Think about this: You can send an iMessage from a WiFi-only iPad, even if you don't own an iPhone. That is a device that is not even physically capable of communicating with AT&T's network. It is literally impossible for AT&T to have a log of your iMessages, and if they did somehow, it would actually be indicative of a massive data breach and invasion of privacy.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

I know that all my texts, iMessages included, were displayed on my old paper bills.  It would be nice to have a log of ALL texts.  Is there an AT&T person out there that can help?

Associated Member

• 

158 Messages

5 years ago

Turn off Imessage &/or de-register your number from iMessages if you want every text to show up. That's realistically your only answer

How to Deregister iMessage

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.