Explore & discover

Helpful Links

eBay and AT&T bundle deal

Contributor

eBay and AT&T bundle deal

I’ve been offered if I pay 3 months of phone in advance they will cut my phone bill in 1/2 got 24 months. I had to put the amount and an eBay card.  Call AT&T and give them the numbers.  Is anyone else getting this deal or am I being scammed ?

Message 1 of 19
Community Support

Re: eBay and AT&T bundle deal

AT&T will never ask you to pay with an eBay card, this does not sound like a legitimate promotion at all.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 19
Contributor

I got a similar offer.  I was to buy a $594.00 ebay card.  They call AT&T and provide billing with a provided authorization number and the ebay card numbers.  At which point my 594.00 is gone.  This was suppose to pay for my acct for the next 6 months.  I would then have my billing reduced for the next 18 months to 99.00.  This would be less than 1/2 current payment.   

Being unsure of the offer I tried to verify the offer by talking to ATT via phone numbers provided on ATT website.  Talked to 2 different people and one of them said he had had other calls and his supervisor never heard of the program.   

I AM PASSING ON THIS.  IT DOES NOT PASS THE SMELL TEST HERE.

Message 3 of 19
Contributor

Had the same thing happen today.  I knew it was a scam.  What I want to know is how did they have my name, number, address and account number???  Trying to make them seem legitimate.   An eBay gift card???   That's a big ole red flag!!  I sure hope people don't fall for this.

Message 4 of 19
Contributor

This is what they text messaged me

"Dear MADAM/SIR, Your bill Is dropping down to $59.99/mo for the next two years with free upgrades of unlimited data, free texting worldwide. In order to avail this offer you need to prepay your account for first 5 months that will be about $300.which you need to pay to the combine billing and promotions depart of AT&T and DTV.Your promo code is M8870. For Further Details. Contact Us 1800-587-4683"

Message 5 of 19
Community Support

@TJohns6211 Hello. This was posted in the AT&T Digital Life forum.... I will be sending this over to the wireless and DirecTV forum folks... thank you for sharing.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 19
Contributor

This just happened to me too...twice in last 2 weeks  !! I just got ATT/Direct TV bundle and some guy from the other side of the world has been calling me with same plan?? Switches me to a supervisor that I can't understand either..they sound like they are from India..Think "Slumdog Millionaire " voice ...Buy 300$ worth of Ebay card and call ATT "billing " # they provide with promo code and my bill is reduced for 2 yrs in half ?? What in the world is going on ATT?? They have all my info, street address etc ??

Message 7 of 19
Contributor

I received a text to call 888 340 0315 with an offer for a 50% discount rate on my Direct TV bill.  The offer was $72 per month for 24 months.  I would need to buy Ebay cards for the first 6 months and pay them in advance.  Payment office number for these guy is 877 261 4690 in CA.

Of course I am not send them any money, however what is concerning is they had my address on file and know how much I currently pay for service.

Message 8 of 19
Contributor

Yeah, They just called me in Raleigh 4-4-2019. They had a wealth of information on and about me and my account,

Makes me wonder if AT&T or Directv has been hacked and they are not saying anything about a data breach???

Message 9 of 19
Community Support

@NCdave99   Hello. I would highly suggest posting this in the DirecTV forum so that they can validate if this is legit or not. This is the Digital Life forum and unfortunately I do not have the knowledge to assist you with this. I can assure you that if there was any kind of data breach, we would inform our customers.

Message 10 of 19
Contributor

Re: eBay and AT

And that should not be information that should be public.
Message 11 of 19
Contributor

Ok this just happened to me as well... these people know my name and address which makes what they say sound realistic until they ask you to send them 2 months of the payment they cut in half on an eBay gift card. They even offered me a $100 like AT&T would and told me to go to the eBay website and look at a current merger between the two which I did to find out about this scam because there was no information... How do they have my information? What other information do they have?

Message 12 of 19
Contributor

AT&T and EBay gift card - possible scam??

4/22/19   2:30PM Nort Carolina

Like so many others I too received a fishy smelling phone call and did a quick search and found this thread. The caller (with foreign accent) James was supervisor and detailed to me how to cash in on the discount offer. He (calling from 888-288-2020) said to go buy an EBay $300 gift card and then to call 888-990-4576 x-1 and give them the special promo code of DTA7861 to get locked in at $49.99 per month after the $300 pre pays the next six months. If it sounds too good to be true???? He had my address and amt of last bill and no telling what other info.

Message 13 of 19
Contributor

Yes they had ALL my info. I got sucked into this because all o got the
info they had on me. They changed my DirecTV line up. I only have HBO
after that one call I ended up with ALL the premium channels and the 240
channel lineup. I swear it’s someone in that company that has full access
to all our info. They may not be the actual one doing it but someone in
AT&T is selling output info to the people that is doing the scam. I still
had these people on the line, I called AT&T, Plano Police, the ICP3 (the
internet scam bureau) NO one would do ANYTHING. The police closed the
incident WITHOUT even calling me about it. This is ridiculous the scam is
about them and they won’t do anything about it.
Shame on. AT&T for turning your backs on the people that pay your salary.
Message 14 of 19

Just got the same scam call. they new my name, address, ATT package, etc.  Very concerning that they have this info

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support