For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
thisisendless's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 4:56 PM

customer diss-service

After months of trying to get AT&T to send my statement to the correct address, I finally got my bill sent properly. Problem?  They're charging me a $5.00 late fee for THEIR mistake. I told customer service that it would probably happen due to the delay in receiving my statement (sent to the wrong address) but was told to call back when it happened. Too much trouble to deal with it then, I guess. I called a number I got in an email but couldn't get through. I called 611 today and was told they refuse to issue a credit because “I could view my bill online.” First of all, says who? Secondly, I don't do online banking so viewing it doesn't help much. Basically, he did nothing but tell me there's no law they have to send a bill and I couldn't get the credit because of a previous credit they owed me. Thanks for nothing but having to pay $5.00 for AT&T's mistake.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@thisisendless wrote:

After months of trying to get AT&T to send my statement to the correct address, I finally got my bill sent properly. Problem?  They're charging me a $5.00 late fee for THEIR mistake. I told customer service that it would probably happen due to the delay in receiving my statement (sent to the wrong address) but was told to call back when it happened. Too much trouble to deal with it then, I guess. I called a number I got in an email but couldn't get through. I called 611 today and was told they refuse to issue a credit because “I could view my bill online.” First of all, says who? Secondly, I don't do online banking so viewing it doesn't help much. Basically, he did nothing but tell me there's no law they have to send a bill and I couldn't get the credit because of a previous credit they owed me. Thanks for nothing but having to pay $5.00 for AT&T's mistake.

You owe the bill regardless of whether you received on in the mail or not, so you paying your bill was your mistakes, not AT&T's. Like the rep said, you can view your bills online, either on the computer or the mobile app. Even if you don't do online banking, you can make a payment online through the AT&T website. You also can make a payment at an AT&T store or mail the payment to the address given on the bill you viewed online. Many retail establishments (convenience stores, supermarkets, etc.) take utility payments, so that might also have been an option. 

If nothing else, you could have called and said, "I haven't received my bill. How much do I owe and where should I send it?"

That said, if I were in your shoes, I'd call back one more time and nicely request the fee be waived as a courtesy due to the circumstances. If they still won't do it, accept that the charge really is legitimate after all and move on with your life. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

You are responsible to pay your bill, whether you get a paper copy or not.

Straight out of terms of service...

1.4 How Will I Receive My Bill? What Charges Am I Responsible For? How Much Time Do I Have To Dispute My Bill?
You will receive an electronic (paperless) bill at AT&T's online account management site unless you tell us you want a paper bill. You will be given the option to choose electronic billing or paper billing when you purchase service. Each month we will send you an email notice when your electronic bill is available online. This will be sent to your official email address on file with AT&T. You are required to keep your email address current and to notify us immediately of any change in your email address. You always have the option of switching back to a paper bill by changing your billing preferences at AT&T's online account management site. You will not receive a paper bill in the mail unless you expressly request one.

You are responsible for paying all charges for or resulting from Services provided under this Agreement, including any activation fee that may apply to each voice or data line. You will receive monthly bills that are due in full.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I have no problem paying the paper bill I requested. Why would I look for an online bill I didn't request? After you refused to send it to my address, I think it's abhorrent that I have to pay a late charge for bad customer service and your refusal to correct my address. You also refused to discuss the fact that I would get a late charge due to your error. No attempt at customer service. Pretty funny, isn't it?

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

Considering the people you are talking to here are customers and not employees, they owe you no customer service.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@thisisendless

This is the community.  Not ATT.  We are fellow customers.  Go back and actually read my post, including the terms of service, how you are billed.  You can go in circles insisting on something that is incorrect.  Your bill will be available online.  If you request a paper bill, you get a streamlined bill.  You still have to pay from the online bill until a paper one arrives.  

If your mail gets lost, you still are expected to pay on time.

If your mailbox is run over by a truck, blown up with cherry bombs, or stolen by gypsies, you are still expected to pay on time.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.