Need help understanding your bill?
shteinb2's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, January 20th, 2011 2:18 AM

breaking out one family plan customer into their own individual plan

Hi, 

I am currently set up with a family plan (3 lines). One of the lines is my son's. He wants to break out of the family plan and move to an individual plan (still with AT&T). He has an iPhone and is under contract for about a year longer. Will his switching from family to individual result in early termination fees for either myself or him? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @shteinb2

We’d be happy to help! This would be a Transfer of Billing Responsibility. With this kind of move, the contract/installment plan can be transferred with the line, meaning an early termination fee would not be necessary. As the original account owner, you can start the transfer process online. Follow the prompts from there. Your son will then follow the process to Accept a Transfer Request, and it will ask him to setup an account and select a plan.

Also, make sure of the following before starting the transfer request:

• The account is active for at least 60 days
  • The line you want to transfer is active
  • The account isn’t past due
  • The account isn’t an AT&T PREPAIDSM or company account

I hope this helps!

Charise

(edited)

Guru

• 

641 Messages

13 years ago

No you can change your rate plan, move users out of the family group, change features etc. as much as you like throughout the contract without affecting it. the only think that might change is the upgrade eligiblity date, but thats a might. The only thing that extends the contract would be an upgrade, but whenever you do have to extend it, you would be fully notified so you will never blindly extend your contract. Basically you would just contact customer service and let them know you want to move that line out of the family group. If you have family messaging he will no long be covered under it and would have to switch to individual unlimited messaging or a limited messaging package. Depending on the date of the change it could cause prorations also. You might want to future date the change if your billed in advanced, my opinion to prevent prorations. also if your son is looking to opening his own account with AT&T you also have the option to perform a Transfer of Billing Responsibility. Your can transfer the number and financial resposibility over to the new account owner (your son) and he can continue his contract on his own account depending if the line is eligible to tranfer of course. you definitely want to contact customer service to check into it for you if your interested.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

"Your can transfer the number and financial resposibility over to the new account owner (your son) and he can continue his contract on his own account depending if the line is eligible to tranfer of course."

Is there a reason the line would not be eligible for transfer? I would definitely be looking to totally separate his account (the financial responsibility transfer you described). 

Guru

• 

641 Messages

13 years ago

There are some policies regarding the transfer. I can't remember them exactly off the top of my head, but maybe this page can help with any questions you have better then I can 🙂

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?solutionId=KB94735&t=solutionTab

You can go to http://www.att.com/transferservice , login using your mywireless login info and it can check the eligibility there also I believe.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.