Need help understanding your bill?
usachatnow's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, December 5th, 2017 2:42 AM

Closed

at&t lied to me and overcharged me

At&t told me that if i wanted to add another line to my account they could do it for an extra 20 a month. I asked them so its just 20 a month extra if i get my girlfriend to leave sprint and add her to my account, they said yes. I was like would there be an activation fee if she did, Again they said no. So i was like ok i get 24 gigs a month on my unlimited plan, Would she feed off my data or get her own 24 gigs unlimited, they said she would get her own 24 gigs unlimited plan. All these things should be recorded on that call. I got my bill today and normally its 127.87 and the bill i got today was 261.22. OMG how can they do this? This is illegal big time. I called and all they keep doing is posting me on hold and telling me there isn't anything they can really do. So now we cancelled my girlfriends line which leaves her without a phone and the number she has had for years. This makes AT&T liable for anything that happens to my girlfriend during the time she is out of having a phone. I am seeking all the charges they have charged me for these lies and compensation for being lied too. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@usachatnow You ask "HOW?" but you have an itemized bill. Look and see exactly what they charged you for...

Did you call them? (WHY NOT?)

I'm guessing you have two activation fees PLUS if you activated in the middle of the month you might have some odd proration going on.

DID YOU BUY any additional phones? What are you using on those two lines?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

No way they said no to activation fee.  The activation fee is set in stone.   Did you buy a phonefor the GF?  Yes?  You have to pay for that too.  Even if you got a BOGO , you have to pay for 2 installments for 3 months before the credits kick in.  

The 2 line unlimited plan is $145 before taxes and phones.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

It is $20 to add a line and the one time activation fee is not waived despite what they told you. If your bill went up that much, it sounds like they added a second single line plan to your account rather than adding a line to your plan. That has been known to happen but it is easily fixed, or could have been. Not sure what can be done now since you cancelled the line.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

believe i did, They just flat out told me it would only be an extra 20 bucks a month. Thats not the case, it was over a 100.00 extra a month. Now my girlfriend it without a phone. Also they are trying to stick me with the fees. I just cant believe how they have done me.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@usachatnow wrote:

They just flat out told me it would only be an extra 20 bucks a month. Thats not the case, it was over a 100.00 extra a month.

It's not $100 extra A MONTH. It was $100 extra THIS MONTH (a couple of activation fees or proration or they added a separate plan).

They DO not have a $50 a line per month charge on plans, so there is clearly more to it. But you have to actually look at the bill and see where the costs are.

Now my girlfriend it without a phone.

That's because you canceled it!!! And you still have the same bill that you're upset about, now you're just not getting the monthly $20 charge (plus/taxes fees like on your original line).

Also they are trying to stick me with the fees. 

So there are fees? So those aren't monthly???

- OMG how can they do this?

- This is illegal big time.

- This makes AT&T liable for anything that happens to my girlfriend during the time she is out of having a phone.

- I just cant believe how they have done me.

I feel like we're getting a little overly dramatic here...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

wrong, they told me there would be no activation fees or anything. I thoroughly asked everything before i did this plan.  They lied about everything to me. I have a rep looking up the recorded call. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. AT&T are crooks, they suckered me into something I did not want by lying about it just being an extra 20 a month. For the price of adding this line she should of just stayed at sprint, It was cheaper. Iv'e always talked good about AT&t to people telling them they are a great service. Ive been with them for around 10 to 15 years. If this would of happened to you like it did me you would of seen that they screwed me big time.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@usachatnow wrote:

wrong, they told me there would be no activation fees or anything. I thoroughly asked everything before i did this plan.  They lied about everything to me. I have a rep looking up the recorded call. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. AT&T are crooks, they suckered me into something I did not want by lying about it just being an extra 20 a month. For the price of adding this line she should of just stayed at sprint, It was cheaper. Iv'e always talked good about AT&t to people telling them they are a great service. Ive been with them for around 10 to 15 years. If this would of happened to you like it did me you would of seen that they screwed me big time.

@usachatnow

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. This has more to do with you not knowing about all the extra charges for adding a new line...  There will always be prorations if you add a line in the middle of the month.  You never said what kind of phone you added...  How much was the activation fee?  IF you brought your own phone its 45 bucks if you used next its 25.  If you bought a phone they dont include that in the 20 line fee then you also have taxes on top of that.  And those taxes are on the activation fee also.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

they told me no activation fee's no extra fees, they got it all on recording. How do you go from a 127.00 bill to a 261.00 bill for adding a 20 dollar line. What is real and what is not is simply not the case. They lied to me about all of it. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I run my own business and could care less about the charges, its the principle on how they do people that I will certainly shed light on. Just by simple google searches I can clearly see this is a normal practice by AT&T and I will gladly make sure this doesn't happen again.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@usachatnow wrote:

How do you go from a 127.00 bill to a 261.00 bill for adding a 20 dollar line. 

I don't know; you're the only one who can see the bill. What charges on this bill are different from the bill before?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@usachatnow If you would only share with us what those charges are, I’m sure we can tell you how to get this fixed. Just telling us the total is not enough. Do you want help or do you just want to complain? Once again, it is only $20/month to add a line. No one lied about that. Let’s figure out why you are being charged so much more.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.