For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
caliscotsman's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, August 2nd, 2018 4:17 PM

WiFi Calling not free from outside USA?

I feel stupid this morning.

I went to Toronto for a few days and came back to a $300 bill.

On my iphone I turned off cellular data and thus roaming, and made sure WiFi calling was on.

I called my wife every night when I was on Wifi in the hotel.

Was I incorrect in thinking it was free?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

My son just returned from Greece last night. He used WiFi to FB message me in the evenings.  He kept roaming off.  Made one WiFi call using the method @sandblaster  wrote.  

Didn’t  cost a dime.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Correct, @sandblaster .  Exactly why I mentioned "if IN a port".
The International Day Plan works for us far beyond a call back home but may not be right for everyone.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@caliscotsman  What plan are you on? The EXACT name, from a bill (and how much data does it include).

Many AT&T plans include Canada these days.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Just got nailed for a charge of $64 on 14 minutes of calls made on my cellphone, while traveling in Thailand paying $10/day International Day Pass. Turns out the issue was: one must have wi-fi calling turned OFF to get the "unlimited talk" of international calling, on that plan. So WiFi calling can be costly too!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

@kooist That’s correct. When you are on WiFi calling, you are not roaming and all calls are treated as if you were in the US. If you call international numbers, you are making an international long distance call and charged as such. You don’t have to turn WiFi calling off, turning WiFi off accomplishes the same thing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.