Need help understanding your bill?
caliscotsman's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, August 2nd, 2018 4:17 PM

WiFi Calling not free from outside USA?

I feel stupid this morning.

I went to Toronto for a few days and came back to a $300 bill.

On my iphone I turned off cellular data and thus roaming, and made sure WiFi calling was on.

I called my wife every night when I was on Wifi in the hotel.

Was I incorrect in thinking it was free?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, any calls to your wife on WiFi calling should have not have had extra charges.  However, just being on WiFi does not mean you are on WiFi calling. You are not on WiFi calling unless you see “AT&T WiFi” on the display. If you see any other carrier, you are roaming. Also, turning cellular data off does not disable roaming. It only disables data. What you should have done was put your phone in airplane mode, then turn WiFi on.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@caliscotsman wrote:

I feel stupid this morning.

I went to Toronto for a few days and came back to a $300 bill.

On my iphone I turned off cellular data and thus roaming, and made sure WiFi calling was on.

I called my wife every night when I was on Wifi in the hotel.

Was I incorrect in thinking it was free?

WiFi calling isn't necessarily free. It extends your plan so calls made on WiFi calling act as if you're in the U.S. That means, (assuming your wife was in the US), you should have paid whatever it would cost to call her when you're at home which I imagine is nothing. Did you call any Canadian (or other foreign) numbers while you were there? That's more likely to be the culprit (assuming you don't have a plan that includes Canada).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I was trying to be careful and didn't use the phone to call anyone in Canada.

Only used it to call my wife back in the US, who has the other phone on our ATT account.

I called an agent and she said that Wifi still used the international towers and is not free. I'm so confused.

Cellular data was definitely switched off all my time away.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. That's probably the mistake I made.

Costly lesson.

I followed the steps you told me..And yes it now shows the little airplane and says ATT WiFi.

That should then give me free wifi calls when calling the US from outside the US?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@caliscotsman wrote:

Thanks. That's probably the mistake I made.

Costly lesson.

I followed the steps you told me..And yes it now shows the little airplane and says ATT WiFi.

That should then give me free wifi calls when calling the US from outside the US?

Yes. Free texting too.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

That actually isn't the case. Just get the $10/day international day plan and then your cellular data can be on and it will use your existing plan - for us that is "unlimited data".
Being in airplane mode should only be used while actually ON an airplane. Turning airplane mode "on" means you won't receive calls or texts which you generally DO want to receive.  You aren't charged for incoming calls or texts you don't answer.

Choosing cellular data "off" is always the best bet as it makes your phone revert to wifi which is what you want. Forget the "airplane mode" part.

If on a cruise ship - always have cellular data off unless you are IN a port with the $10/day international day plan.  Also, in "settings" you should also turn off your iTunes/App store updates, your general Background App refresh, and iCould storage backup as those drain your phone/data.  Turn off all media auto downloads (Facebook, WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.)

Have fun the next time and your bill will be much lower.  🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@CMola2 The OP wanted to call without roaming charges. Everything I told him is exactly true and the OP even verified it, or did you skip that. One guaranteed way to avoid roaming charges is to leave airplane mode on. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The steps I mentioned are just easier than all of that.  Have done this in Italy, Spain, Russia, Scandinavia, the Caribbean, cruise ships, etc etc.
If someone truly doesn't want to spend a single dollar then I guess they could try that but $10/day unlimited data in a different country or in a port is pretty hard to beat.  To each his own, and everyone has a different plan, budget and travel itinerary.

Cheers!

C

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@CMola2 The international day pass does not cover cruise ships but I’m sure you knew that and did not mean to imply that it did. You are right, do what works for you but the OP was not looking for options.  He was asking if calling his wife from Canada on WiFi calling is free, which it is provided you are actually on WiFi calling. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@CMola2 wrote:

but $10/day unlimited data in a different country or in a port is pretty hard to beat. 

$60 for the 30-day AT&T passport, significantly beats 30 days on International Day Pass for $10 a day.

But it all depends on the individual's own usage.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.