Need help understanding your bill?
Byteabit's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 29th, 2018 4:49 PM

Why was I charged twice in the same month?

I'm enrolled in auto pay and have always been charged on or around the 12th of each month. It's been that way for years. I'd like a clear and concise explanation as to why I was charged again today as well as a reason for the fees being increased. Customer service told me that the billing cycle was changed. If true, I received no notification of that prior to that change and still feel I've been double billed. Very bad form ATT.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@fyryred   It is not a double billing.  You were billed on the same day for the same service period.  Your automatic payment was deducted early (per the email).   

Since it’s on a credit card, it does not impact my cash flow at all.  

You can easily change it online by changing your payment method.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Because you didn’t read your emails, which explained the change 2 months ago.   ATT is paying 2.5% fee on the charge to your CC.  Youbhad 2 months to change payment methods to get the old date back.  

I dont care.  They want to toss me a $5 discount I’ll change my payments.  Otherwise this is convenient for me and isn’t costing me a thing.

the change in admin fee is not explained, but now matches that of Verizon.  No notice is required for tax and fee changes.  Where is it going?  Who knows.  Maybe to rebuild areas destroyed by last year’s hurricanes.  Maybe to update the lax security.  

6917BF4C-C83E-4E91-A439-29B9A3BA3A8F.jpeg

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

What a rude reply to an understandable question.  It is double billing and they did it to some people in June 2018 as well as September 2018.  I was informed by an AT&T rep the double billing in September 2018 wasn't supposed to occur.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@fyryred wrote:

What a rude reply to an understandable question.  It is double billing and they did it to some people in June 2018 as well as September 2018.  I was informed by an AT&T rep the double billing in September 2018 wasn't supposed to occur.  

It is not "double billing." That would be if you are paying twice for the same period of service. Given the threads you are posting in, that is not what is occurring. 

Now, why sometimes your payments are made 6 days after the beginning of the cycle and sometimes on the due date, that's hard to say. Like you said, this isn't unique to you. It isn't happening to most customers, though. Personally, I would just ignore it and recognize I'm paying for one month of service at a time, no matter when AT&T gets the money. However, if it's a big deal to you and you can't wait for a different solution, change to a debit card or bank account for autopay. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Same thing is happening to me and they are trying to force to pay the two bills and I don’t think it is fair.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Adriana213004 wrote:

Same thing is happening to me and they are trying to force to pay the two bills and I don’t think it is fair.

If the same thing is happening to you as above, then it is perfectly fair. You are paying for two months of service. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Adriana213004

The bills are charged on a credit card, auto deducted.  Either change payment method or turn off auto pay.  Problem solved.  

Just make sure you don’t pay late.  Your bill is due 21 days after the close date. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

So if you enrolled in automated bill pay with a credit card and it’s charging next month’s bill this month, there should not be a bill payment processed for the next month? Or will it just continue to charge each month’s bill one month earlier?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Dpham88 wrote:

So if you enrolled in automated bill pay with a credit card and it’s charging next month’s bill this month, there should not be a bill payment processed for the next month? Or will it just continue to charge each month’s bill one month earlier?

You aren’t charged for “next month”.  You are billed during the month and due during the month.  

On some plans they are taking the payment right after you get the bill, rather than right before it’s due.  

My bill cycle for 18 to 17 of March closes the 17th, available on the 22nd, payment taken on CC the 24th, but not due till the 8th of April. 

However At&t can’t describe anything in a way that makes sense.   So all the information on the website looks like I’m paying for April already.   

If you read the online bill, mine shows bill for 1/18 to 2/17 paid on 2/24.

C123105E-55B4-4A3A-954D-0D78D630C179.jpeg

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Dpham88 wrote:

You aren’t charged for “next month”.  You are billed during the month and due during the month.  

On some plans they are taking the payment right after you get the bill, rather than right before it’s due.  

My bill cycle for 18 to 17 of March closes the 17th, available on the 22nd, payment taken on CC the 24th, but not due till the 8th of April. 

However At&t can’t describe anything in a way that makes sense.   So all the information on the website looks like I’m paying for April already.   

You are paying for part of April. If your billing cycle ends on 3/17, your next bill will include monthly charges for 3/18 to 4/17; you will pay on 3/24. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.