Need help understanding your bill?
kellcarr's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, March 25th, 2014 10:28 PM

Why request a $445 per line deposit?

I started with Cingular years ago, went to U.S. Cell***, and then back.  Started a new wireless account under my own name last week because I found out about the corporate discount with my employer.  I have many members in my immediate family (more than 7). 

I easily opened the account with a new line, transferred 4 lines to get most of my kids' account all together.  However, when I went to transfer additional to take advantage of the 10 lines, I was asked for a $445 deposit.  I didn't take the first offer.  I called back to clarify, and they would not waive it.

I then decided I would save that much over the first several months, so I called back.  The 3rd time I was told it was $445 PER LINE!  What in the world? 

Seems like I will return my new phones, cancel all but the two that are still under contract and spend the $445 per line on a competitor's lines. 

Really?  When phones are under contract with ETF on 3 new lines, 5 months on the 4th, 15 months on the 5th line?  And a couple that I wanted to transfer would also be under contract. 

Sorry AT&T, I think this is it.  Maybe I was being greedy for the savings offered and decided why not have all of us a phone line, but that was your plan---up to 10 lines. 

Just another unsatisfied customer.  But this time---I do have options.  It's cheaper to pay the ETF and go elsewhere than to pay nearly $2,000 in deposits and fees.

Kell

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I don't think anyone will be able to give you a better explanation,  than simply, when you add multiple lines in a short period, especially more than 3 at once, this particular deposit comes up.

If you pay the deposit, and keep uninterupted service for a year, than the deposit money comes back to you.

If I remember right,  the period is 150 days before it falls offs.

The bill will spike high enough as it is, with the likely activation fees, ect. that you may want to focus on that before budgeting for more lines.

-Alex

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

Sounds like s/he is trying to do multiple TOFR's if I'm understanding correctly and opened 2 2yr contracts as well as just adding a couple lines. 

8 people in a family paying individual lines could be over $1,000 a month. Sounds like OP is trying to extend his FAN discount to his family by adding them to his account and splitting the bill X times Amongst each other. Could be potential savings over $400+ a month. 

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

Its just a thing att has to help protect them from fraud it what im told. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Actually, it was one new 2-year contract, 4 old lines transferred (easy), but wanted to transfer the other lines. To "sounds like they're trying to get discount for entire family" comment--we have a large family! Not 11 kids like a friend of mine, we only have 6. and discount only applies to a small part of the bill. Still, it saves me a whopping $16/month, so I'll take it. I would still be paying over $250/month so I don't know if the insinuation was that we are trying to get discount for people that shouldn't be getting it or what.

I have learned that the $445/line is to prevent fraud, and after we have paid a couple of months, it may be waived. I'll wait a while. But if they keep trying to tell me my iPhone 4S is new and not a phone from prior contract (3/28/12 start) I'm gonna scream! I'm still not positive we will stay.

We are waiting 3 more days to see if bill is corrected then we will decide.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

And I need to add, all the kids are still at home and since anyone is entitled to a family share plan anyway, I'm not sure who would pay $1,000 a month.

And they are all under 21.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

It's not per month, the deposit is a one time charge.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

That is correct.  It is a one time fee of $445 per line.  At this point, we are going to leave things as they are and give it 60 to 90 days.

The FAN discount only applies to the plan amount, so "taking advantage" would take 6 months savings at $16/month to even take our family out to dinner.  So, I wouldn't say keeping my entire family under one plan, which we couldn't prior to the mobile share, is going to save tons of money, but it will be $16/mo.  plus the reduction in paying two accounts instead of one.  Before our family could only have 5 lines on an account and now we can get all of them back together.

Of course, when we started, we had just married and had no children.  We didn't start adding lines until kids were in the late teens.  Now with us spread so much during the week at various practices, events, games, etc., it is more necessary to each have a line.  We are not always together.

Their new rates are better for what we use and they are consistent in their coverage of the places we travel to.  I'm also glad that all of our lines can eventually be combined, it will just take time.  We just have to prove that we will pay on time and then there will be no issues.

The first few months bills are a pain in the hind end though.  All the partial month charges and credits---Whew!  The phone reps don't even understand all of them.  But after the first few, they all even out and become normal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

And in what little defense AT&T has, I hate that they also have that much fraud.  It's sad when you make offers in good faith and the customer takes advantage and steals from you.  For that reason I understand.  I wish that the customers (people in general) were all honest in business dealings, but they are not and they never will be 100% honest so therefore we have a $445/line policy. 

Thanks for the help on this topic.  I think I have it under my belt now.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I am a retired employee with 40 years. I have 2 wireless accounts, a home phone and uverse. Over $700 on cellphones. In the last year I have disconnected one cellphone and 2 mifis. And I had to pay $150 deposit for another tablet to be added to my account.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

The line deposit varies with the risk ATT perceives. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.