Need help understanding your bill?
FYILMAZ's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014 12:10 AM

Which one is better for complaining about ATT: arbitration?

In a conversation with AT&T on December 26, 2013, I asked them if I could
change my plan to a cheaper and better one. They said no. Then I told them
that I wanted to get out of my contract and pay the early termination fee so
that I can have a plan with an alternative company because it would be
cheaper for me to pay the fee than keeping my current plan. Upon my request
for early termination, they agreed to change my plan and promised to apply a
$15 credit toward my account each month so that the total price I would be
paying monthly would be similar to the plan I asked to be moved to. But without any notification, ATT stopped applying the credit in July 2014. They told me that the credit expired in July but would not provide any further explanation. ATT
thus violated the mutual agreement. 

This is not the first time I have problems with ATT’s business practices.
When I renewed the contract in July 2013, I was promised that they would
unlock my new phone so that I could use it on my international travels.
Their website states also that customers in good standing can have their
phones unlocked 60 days after renewing the contract. However, as soon as I
signed the contract, they refused to unlock the phone. When I threatened to
break the contract, they immediately provided me with the unlock code. I should not have to fight with them about the promises they make.

So, with this kind of problem, what is best? Arbitration? I do not intend to continue with ATT after the resolution of the problem.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@FYILMAZ wrote:
In a conversation with AT&T on December 26, 2013, I asked them if I could
change my plan to a cheaper and better one. They said no. Then I told them
that I wanted to get out of my contract and pay the early termination fee so
that I can have a plan with an alternative company because it would be
cheaper for me to pay the fee than keeping my current plan. Upon my request
for early termination, they agreed to change my plan and promised to apply a
$15 credit toward my account each month so that the total price I would be
paying monthly would be similar to the plan I asked to be moved to. But without any notification, ATT stopped applying the credit in July 2014. They told me that the credit expired in July but would not provide any further explanation. ATT
thus violated the mutual agreement. 

This is not the first time I have problems with ATT’s business practices.
When I renewed the contract in July 2013, I was promised that they would
unlock my new phone so that I could use it on my international travels.
Their website states also that customers in good standing can have their
phones unlocked 60 days after renewing the contract. However, as soon as I
signed the contract, they refused to unlock the phone. When I threatened to
break the contract, they immediately provided me with the unlock code. I should not have to fight with them about the promises they make.

So, with this kind of problem, what is best? Arbitration? I do not intend to continue with ATT after the resolution of the problem.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

It sounds like you received a discount for 6 months. 

At this point, just move to another company. It's clear you're not happy with AT&T. Why stay with them any longer?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Because they say I have to pay early termination fee even though they broke the agreement.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

They gave me a discount for 12 months, it expired now though.

Former Employee

• 

107 Messages

10 years ago

Your agreement was for a discount off of the cost of your phones. It has nothing to do with your plans and services, unless your plan is contingent on your contract state.

What that means, is that you got a phone that is normally 600-900$ for anywhere from free-300$ and in exchange you agreed to stay with AT&T for 2 years. This has nothing to do with your cost of plan unless you have a plan that provides additional discounts for being out of contract. ATT providing you with a temporary discount had nothing to do with the contract you signed when you got your phone.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

My agreement was a discount on a line to keep a line that was out of contract, but i didnt use the line so i still canceled and they still gave me the discount for 12 months for making me call back and talk to someone that would be willing to cancel the line. I dont like to argue if they want to argue i hang up and call again. Same thing with digital life i called to cancel before they came to install it. The lady argued told me she would give me a discount. I fnnaly said ok, so they put it in. I removed the installation it is sitting in boxes called to cancel but got disconnected. The called me over 4 to 5 hrs after it was removed and said on voicemail that they received a tamper alarm from the keypad, sevral times after the unit was offline, many voicemails to call them but when i called them i was waiting for a rep for several minutes got disconnected so i didnt call back. I sent them a email with no response they keep billing which isn't getting paid, if the first rep listened to me to start with, it would have been canceled and there be no issues. But now there are 3 months of bills, for a service i canceled before it was received. But rep doesnt want to take i dont want it for a answer its not worth the arguing. I won't argue i won't repeat myself 10 times. I want to cancel should only be said once they can offer the discount and i say no thank you, then they should cancel not continue to play these games.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Sqrounddancer wrote:
My agreement was a discount on a line to keep a line that was out of contract, but i didnt use the line so i still canceled and they still gave me the discount for 12 months for making me call back and talk to someone that would be willing to cancel the line. I dont like to argue if they want to argue i hang up and call again. Same thing with digital life i called to cancel before they came to install it. The lady argued told me she would give me a discount. I fnnaly said ok, so they put it in. I removed the installation it is sitting in boxes called to cancel but got disconnected. The called me over 4 to 5 hrs after it was removed and said on voicemail that they received a tamper alarm from the keypad, sevral times after the unit was offline, many voicemails to call them but when i called them i was waiting for a rep for several minutes got disconnected so i didnt call back. I sent them a email with no response they keep billing which isn't getting paid, if the first rep listened to me to start with, it would have been canceled and there be no issues. But now there are 3 months of bills, for a service i canceled before it was received. But rep doesnt want to take i dont want it for a answer its not worth the arguing. I won't argue i won't repeat myself 10 times. I want to cancel should only be said once they can offer the discount and i say no thank you, then they should cancel not continue to play these games.

If you said "OK" to the discount offer, then you did not cancel before the service was installed. You changed your mind about cancelling. Now you are three months behind on the bill and since you decided to remove the equipment, aren't even getting the service you owe for. 

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Yes i know but the point is i shouldn't have to say no more then once, because she asked so many times i said yes and figured ill deal with it later prob should have refused the installers too.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@Sqrounddancer wrote:
prob should have refused the installers too.

Yeah, you definitely should have, if you didn't want the service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.