Need help understanding your bill?
junior598's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, June 16th, 2013 5:42 PM

What would be the fees you pay when you buy a new phone?

I want to buy an HTC first, and besides the 99 cents price tag with the two year contract, I want to know all the fees I pay with the phone, like the activation fee.Smiley Happy I also want to know the prices if you know them. Thanks!!Smiley Tongue

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

There will be sales tax on the sale and, depending on where you live, it may be on the unsubsidized, retail price of the phone.
Activation fee is $36.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

You mean the full price?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@junior598 wrote:

You mean the full price?

Correct you may pay 99 cents but sales tax wil be computed on 439.99

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Can you explain a bit more?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

Some states base the taxes paid on the retail value of the device not on the susbidized price of the device. California is one such state. You need to check your states tax code. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Would Rhode Island count?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Hello?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

11 years ago

You will have to check with the Rhode Island tax laws. Most people only know from their home state, not every state in the US.
You will need to check with someone that knows Rhode Island.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@junior598 wrote:
Would Rhode Island count?

I did a bit of Googling, and it appears Rhode Island does require sales tax on the full price of the phone, though not the full retail price. If I understand correctly, it appears the sales tax is on the final customer's price plus the wholesale cost of the phone. 

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

10 years ago

Just to clarify, it all depends.  In Washington State, if a third party subsidizes the phone (someone other than you or AT&T in this case), then the subsidy portion would be taxable  However, because AT&T subsidizes the phone, in Washington State the sales tax would be calculated based on the sale price ($.99) resulting in a sales tax of $.09.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.