Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 16, 2013
10:42:27 AM
What would be the fees you pay when you buy a new phone?

I want to buy an HTC first, and besides the 99 cents price tag with the two year contract, I want to know all the fees I pay with the phone, like the activation fee.Smiley Happy I also want to know the prices if you know them. Thanks!!Smiley Tongue

I want to buy an HTC first, and besides the 99 cents price tag with the two year contract, I want to know all the fees I pay with the phone, like the activation fee.Smiley Happy I also want to know the prices if you know them. Thanks!!Smiley Tongue

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 16, 2013 10:51:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
There will be sales tax on the sale and, depending on where you live, it may be on the unsubsidized, retail price of the phone.
Activation fee is $36.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

What would be the fees you pay when you buy a new phone?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 16, 2013 10:51:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
There will be sales tax on the sale and, depending on where you live, it may be on the unsubsidized, retail price of the phone.
Activation fee is $36.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Activation fee is $36.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What would be the fees you pay when you buy a new phone?

2 of 11 (1,309 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 10:52:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

You mean the full price?

You mean the full price?

3 of 11 (1,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 12:30:22 PM
(0)
Expert

junior598 wrote:

You mean the full price?

Correct you may pay 99 cents but sales tax wil be computed on 439.99

junior598 wrote:

You mean the full price?

Correct you may pay 99 cents but sales tax wil be computed on 439.99

4 of 11 (1,260 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 3:08:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Can you explain a bit more?
Can you explain a bit more?

5 of 11 (1,234 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 4:07:17 PM
(0)
Expert

Some states base the taxes paid on the retail value of the device not on the susbidized price of the device. California is one such state. You need to check your states tax code. 

Some states base the taxes paid on the retail value of the device not on the susbidized price of the device. California is one such state. You need to check your states tax code. 

6 of 11 (1,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 6:59:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Would Rhode Island count?

7 of 11 (1,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 8:51:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hello?

Hello?

8 of 11 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 11:46:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You will have to check with the Rhode Island tax laws. Most people only know from their home state, not every state in the US.
You will need to check with someone that knows Rhode Island.
You will have to check with the Rhode Island tax laws. Most people only know from their home state, not every state in the US.
You will need to check with someone that knows Rhode Island.

9 of 11 (1,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 2:17:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

junior598 wrote:

I did a bit of Googling, and it appears Rhode Island does require sales tax on the full price of the phone, though not the full retail price. If I understand correctly, it appears the sales tax is on the final customer's price plus the wholesale cost of the phone. 

junior598 wrote:

I did a bit of Googling, and it appears Rhode Island does require sales tax on the full price of the phone, though not the full retail price. If I understand correctly, it appears the sales tax is on the final customer's price plus the wholesale cost of the phone. 

10 of 11 (1,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2014 9:10:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

Just to clarify, it all depends.  In Washington State, if a third party subsidizes the phone (someone other than you or AT&T in this case), then the subsidy portion would be taxable  However, because AT&T subsidizes the phone, in Washington State the sales tax would be calculated based on the sale price ($.99) resulting in a sales tax of $.09.  

Just to clarify, it all depends.  In Washington State, if a third party subsidizes the phone (someone other than you or AT&T in this case), then the subsidy portion would be taxable  However, because AT&T subsidizes the phone, in Washington State the sales tax would be calculated based on the sale price ($.99) resulting in a sales tax of $.09.  

11 of 11 (351 Views)