Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Charges for international

Tutor

What does whatsapp charge for international calls?

(mobile post-paid, USA)

Just had a chat with AT&T representative and it left more questions than clarifications. Worst of all, it also left a hole in my pocket since we're been charged to international calls we never did.
Issue: we found charges for international calls in our latest bill. We recognize the number called, but we never call international, we always use whatsapp and/or facetime.
Here's what 1st AT&T agent told us (copied/pasted from the actual chat):

Ken: Using whatsapp with cellular data will count against your cellular data
Ken: That is why you've been charged for INternational Long Distance
Ken: I was able to verify that the International Long Distance charges on your bill is valid due to
using cellular data while calling even using 3rd party app
Ken: The time it will not be counted against your data plan is when you're using Wi-Fi
Ken: I would love to clarify this for you. If you're using cellular data using communication
applications, it will count against your data plan unless you're using a Wifi.

So, using whatsapp to call international will co$t money. And, the agent VERIFIED that the charge is for using a 3rd party app. That would explain the charges... even though... we've always complained that whatsapp doesn't connect when we're not on wifi... it just doesn't work... we thought its a lock in the app or something alike but it just doesn't work without wifi. Now they say it does and they VERIFIED IT.

Now, here's what minutes later ANOTHER AT&T representative wrote:

Rosendo - Supervisor: If applications such as Whatsapp were used, there will be no Long
Distance Charge as it will be taken as Cellular Data usage
Rosendo - Supervisor: Which means those calls went through regular calling
Rosendo - Supervisor: As that kind if error does not occur in our service
Rosendo - Supervisor: Only calls made through the pre-installed calling application of the
phone will be charged for Long Distance Calling
Rosendo - Supervisor: If third-party applications that use only data or Wifi to call, these
charges will not appear on your bill

So... basically it confirms everything that the previous agent said only completely the opposite, I got a sensation of walking on a mobius tape... the same conversation leads to one conclusion and then exactly to its opposite.

This is really confusing, and worst of all, expensive since they charge for the calls. Each agent has a justification for the charges even though both agents use opposite arguments.
Did I mentioned the fact that the phone user doesn't even know how to dial internationally?

To turn a confusion into a mystery is very easy, all I did was to ask the supervisor to confirm if the calls were made using an app or the regular phone system... and voila:

Rosendo - Supervisor: I apologize but as much as I would like to verify that, for security
purposes, we are unable to see what applications were used for your privacy as well

Well, that's what you got for talking to a supervisor!! At AT&T the supervisor has LESS power than a regular agent.... since Ken was able to VERIFY that the call was made using a 3rd party app, while the supervisor can't even check.

I wish they had the same system for the charges... charge you xx at the begining of the bill and then charge you the opposite (-xx) at the end.

Finally I asked for a phone or address I can contact to escalate the matter and... of course:

Rosendo - Supervisor: We do not have a mailing address for any specific department

In the end they got me a weird PO box.

So, in the end, we're been charged for calls we didn't make or maybe we made with whatsapp, which nobody can verify (for our safety) but that have been accurately verified as made using an app. We just have to pay, that's for sure.

Does anybody at the forum has a better alternative for contacting AT&T management or so? I found some TV stations (univisa, telemundo) have departments that like to investigate these matters but I would like to exhaust direct communication first.

Thanks

Message 1 of 84
Contributor

Same thing just happened to me.  I noticed the charges last month and thought it was strange since I blocked international calling but let it go thinking my 10 year old had done something crazy to unblock it. I called at&t and made sure it was blocked correctly- it was. New bill comes in and again there are charges for international calling. I call again and this time ask for a manager. I ask her to confirm if international calling is blocked. She says it is, so I ask how can there be international charges? She says, do you use third party apps like whatsapp? I say yes but whaptsapp works with data and I pay more to have unlimited data. So how can this be possible? She explains that even though I have blocked international calling and have unlimited data,  if the network is down while using whatsapp the call will go through the network and get billed as an international call. She then mentions I could get an international plan through at&t. And basically advises to stop using whatsapp.

Unbelievable!  Are they trying to lose every customer? 

Message 46 of 84
Teacher

Whats app terms: Fees and Taxes. You are responsible for all carrier data plan and other fees and taxes associated with your use of our Services. We may charge you for our Services, including applicable taxes. We may refuse or cancel orders. We do not provide refunds for our Services, except as required by law.

https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/?eea=0#terms-of-service

Message 47 of 84
Highlighted
Teacher
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎01-15-2019 2:14 PM

Whats app terms: Fees and Taxes. You are responsible for all carrier data plan and other fees and taxes associated with your use of our Services. We may charge you for our Services, including applicable taxes. We may refuse or cancel orders. We do not provide refunds for our Services, except as required by law.

https://www.whatsapp.com/legal/?eea=0#terms-of-service

Tags (1)
Message 48 of 84
Contributor

Being an retired IT professional, I can see problem in the Cellular carrier, Smart Phone software, and Third party App i.e Whatsapp over here. Let assume you made a call on whatsapp international person via Wi-Fi internet line. Some time while your call disconnected for some reason (internet stop working for few seconds) your smart phone software will try to reconnect using other route i.e. cellular even if you have blocked cellular for the Whatsapp call (smart phone software bug). Once your call is forwarded to your carrier, it may be diverted to the destination. At this point you do not have international calling plan and your carrier refused to block all international call so it may divert your call via the most expensive line and you get the bill. If they charge you for the data usage then it is not a bad deal. But if they considered as an international voice call then it is an expensive. You think you are talking via Whatsapp so you continue talk for a long time and charges piled up. So use whatsapp for the chat only or turned off cellular before you use whatsapp for voice call. But I think most of the time we will forget that anyway and most of the users are not that technical!!!

Message 49 of 84
Contributor

AT&T charged me 297$ for third party app.(What’s up App calling))

(They also said we will charge you even you use FaceTime)

when I called customer service they asked me to use air plain mode and use what’sup app.

Customer service is very rude to me.

I lost 297$ and rude behavior I will never ever use AT&T service.

Message 50 of 84
Contributor

AT&T charged me 297$ for using whatsup app and they asked me to use airplain mode.

I lost 297$ very rude customer service.

At&t customer support is very rude they also mentioned even if I use face time they will charge me.

How stupid using AirPlain mode.( very rude to me)

I used 10+ years of AT&T service this is how they treated me now.

Message 51 of 84
Tutor

Try android. I have both iphone and android but only iPhone gets charged. Also turnoff wifi assist in iPhone. 

Message 52 of 84
Contributor

Just got a text that says I made a $100 long distance call. Not possible as I used Whatsapp via Wifi like I always do. There isn’t even an option on the Whatsapp screen to make a mobile call. Complete scam, switching to T mobile or Sprint as soon as my contract runs out. Daniel Herr

Message 53 of 84
ACE - Expert

@Dh1111 wrote:

Just got a text that says I made a $100 long distance call. Not possible as I used Whatsapp via Wifi like I always do. There isn’t even an option on the Whatsapp screen to make a mobile call. Complete scam, switching to T mobile or Sprint as soon as my contract runs out. Daniel Herr

How does AT&T know about the call? Either you told them, by dialing direct, or WhatsApp told them. It seems to be a common occurrence that WhatsApp will route calls over your cellular network. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 54 of 84
Contributor

It comes up on my call log as a mobile call. I used Whatsapp to make the call and my wifi was working fine. So Whatsapp just sent the call to the mobile network instantly and I have no control over this? How would I even know about it until after I finished the call?

Message 55 of 84
ACE - Expert

@Dh1111 wrote:

It comes up on my call log as a mobile call. I used Whatsapp to make the call and my wifi was working fine. So Whatsapp just sent the call to the mobile network instantly and I have no control over this? How would I even know about it until after I finished the call?

That's a great question for WhatsApp.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 56 of 84
Contributor

I say SCAM. At&t blames Whatsapp, Whatsapp blames At&t, no proof is provided or needed. You think they split the proceeds 50/50 or maybe 70/30? I hate this company. Switching to T mobile.

Message 57 of 84
Contributor

Same thing happened to. I lost my trust on AT&T

Message 58 of 84
Contributor

I am having the same problem and the ATT representative who was a manager tried me like I was a dumb person who didn't know what I was talking about and basically told me "that's how it is and I won't do anything about it" 😮 he was so rude!!!! I'm leaving ATT! No other company charges you for 3rd party apps.

Message 59 of 84
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same problem for the last two months. It seems that AT&T is trying to get advantage of us, customers, for the lack of information and confusion this matter is generating. It's very sad that a big company like AT&T is trying to rip of its customers. I've been with them for almost 10 years and I'm considering switching to another provider.

Message 60 of 84
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support