What does PTA stand for on my billing statement?

Tutor

What does PTA stand for on my billing statement?

[ Edited ]

What does pta mean on my bill under texts?

<CM Edit - updated subject>

Message 1 of 18 (51,898 Views)
Employee
Solution
Accepted by jamileh (Former Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: pta

it's data usage for LTE phones, that's the APN (access point name) it uses
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 18 (51,885 Views)
Tutor

So its just where go online to check my email?

Message 3 of 18 (51,879 Views)
Employee

anything that involves data (e.g. internet, downloads, apps, email, etc)
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 18 (51,871 Views)
Contributor

I just purchased a smart phone 2 days ago and i have already accumulated 107.44 mg of usage for data. THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE, it is under pta internet/medianet. I am hooked up to wifi at home and at school. that is simply not possible. i need somebody to explain what this is and how i stop it. i am not paying for internet usage that i did not use...

Message 5 of 18 (50,839 Views)
Expert

kwarlow wrote:

I just purchased a smart phone 2 days ago and i have already accumulated 107.44 mg of usage for data. THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE, it is under pta internet/medianet. I am hooked up to wifi at home and at school. that is simply not possible. i need somebody to explain what this is and how i stop it. i am not paying for internet usage that i did not use...

107 MB in two days is possible - are you listening to pandora / netflix or any other streaming app while you are away from the wireless? Are you sure the wireless is staying connected all the time? Are you using any apps that require cellualr location services? If the wireless drops it automaticly swaps back to cellular data. Are you autoupdating or autoscanning your facebook page. Most smartphones will shutdown the wifi and switch back to cellular if the phone hibernates and is not plugged in for charging.

go into the hpne settings and turn off cellular data then turn back on wifi settings, that way the phone will not autoswitch and you will know exactly when the wifi drops becuase you will lose connection.

Message 6 of 18 (50,835 Views)
Contributor

i had my phone shut off last night and pta used so much data i jumped from 44.8 mb to 107 mg. i was asleep. i shouldnt have to shut the data off, im paying for that every month because ATT says I HAVE to have it.

Message 7 of 18 (50,833 Views)
Contributor

Re: What does PTA stand for on my billing statement?

Consumers simply shoulder the taxes of the companies. Fewer people actually have a traditional phone. Mobile phones are the favored way of voice conversation and smartphones are becoming the preferred platform.  For that reason, wireless expenses have been going up continuously in the past few years.

Message 8 of 18 (39,327 Views)
Expert

ricmiller wrote:

Consumers simply shoulder the taxes of the companies. Fewer people actually have a traditional phone. Mobile phones are the favored way of voice conversation and smartphones are becoming the preferred platform.  For that reason, wireless expenses have been going up continuously in the past few years.

All expenses have been going up - from the cost of cat food to the cost of a galleon of gas, personally will never give up the standard POTS line in my house nor the emergency backup POTS lines at my business, unlike cell phones they rarely have connection issues.

Message 9 of 18 (39,299 Views)
Contributor

I also have pts on my bill as well(a lot) I always have data turned off so why is it on there?
Message 10 of 18 (38,328 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Oops sorry, pts, not ptsSmiley Indifferent
Message 11 of 18 (38,327 Views)
Contributor

Darn it! Stupid auto correct. Haha pta
Message 12 of 18 (38,324 Views)
Expert

This would indicate that there is some sort of app (or some one is accidently and or deliberately connecting to the internet) on the phone that is connecting at some point in time to the internet.
Message 13 of 18 (38,013 Views)
Contributor

how do you change the setting on the phone to make sure your wifi stays on?

Message 14 of 18 (30,050 Views)
Expert

lmw143 wrote:

how do you change the setting on the phone to make sure your wifi stays on?

that is built into the phone, most, if not all smartphones will shutdown the wifi chipset when the phone goes into hiberation and is not plugged into the charger, this is for power savings and is built into the phone by the manufacturer. Other then that wifi will stay connected as long as it is in range of the access point that is related to the wifi id that is setup by the user on the phone

Message 15 of 18 (30,040 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.