For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Vet7777's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, January 27th, 2019 5:32 PM

Why advertise a veteran discount at all if it is not readily available to veterans for any plan?

About a year ago I brought my veteran verification document (DD214) to an ATT office in order to get the advertised veteran discount. I seemed to be getting the small discount until about a month ago. I talked to an agent and she said I should now actually be getting a higher discount of 25%, but I needed to bring my verification letter again to an ATT office. I again showed the local office the DD214 veteran verification. When the discount failed to appear AT ALL on my latest statement, I called ATT again and was told that veteran discounts are only applied to plans higher than my ATT Choice Plan. Why was I given the run-around all of this time? A higher rate plan with veteran discount would be more expensive than my current plan, and I do not need a higher rate plan anyway. Why advertise a veteran discount at all if it is not readily available to veterans for any plan? Very discouraging after serving my country and expecting an advertised discount.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

Yes once the new 25% off discount started the 15% discount went away.  But a manager can add it back.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Jenkna  That’s not what he wrote.  The 15% discount is grandfathered onto all expired plans, and can be put back on the account with his documentation.  Why it fell off we don’t know.   

15% also applies to the current metered plans.   

Since the OP indicates he has the unlimited Choice plan. He gets 15% off the plan charge only.  

He is incorrect in assuming the new plan will cost more (it doesn’t)  the 25% discount is on the entire plan cost - both plan and line fees.   

As I always say, do the math.    4 lines on the choice plan was $155.  The plan charge on Choice was I think $75, less the 15% or $11.25.   Net $140

The Unlimited and more plan for 4 lines is $160.  The plan charge is lower and line fees higher, but 25% off the entire plan is $40.    Net $120.

The downside is taxes are higher as line fees are higher.  In the end it may be a break even depending on your state tax rates.  

Again do the math.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

The 25% discount is only applicable to the new “Unlimited and more” plans.  

https://www.att.com/offers/firstresponders.html

Scholar

• 

97 Messages

5 years ago

The discount program at AT&T is strange.   For Military, you can only get the discount on the unlimited & more plans.   For Corporate, School and Associations, you can only get the discount on certain shared data plans.    

It doesn’t seem right that the military discount only applies to the most expensive plans - how frustrating!   It also isn’t right that you got bad information and wasted a bunch of time trying to prove your military status when it didn’t even get you a discount! 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Military discount apply to all postpaid plans, it is 15% off the plan charge.  The 25% discount applies only to the unlimited and more plans.  

Scholar

• 

97 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40  Where did you find that information about the 15% discount?  I can only find information about the 25% for the unlimited & more plans.   Also, if the 15% should apply to the person who started this thread - why didn’t it get take away out of the blue?  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

It didn't get taken away.  It was never added because the store screwed up.  My 15% discount is still on our account.  

Scholar

• 

97 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76  I guess that still doesn’t make sense to me.   The original post on this thread said they presented their military proof a year ago and were receiving a small discount - then a month ago it stopped.  When they inquired, they were told the 25% only applies to the unlimited and more plans and that their current plan ATT Choice was not eligible for ANY discount.    

I’m also curious why AT&T doesn’t advertise the 15% military discount - their website only mentions the 25% on Unlimited & More.   Are they trying to steer veterans into the more expensive plans by not telling them about the 15% discount on other plans?    I’ll ask again, where is it documented that 15% military discount applies to plans other than Unlimited&More?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

That's easy the 15 percent discount is grandfathered in along with the plan.  Why it was removed is beyond me.  They should have not removed it but then again att can change a plan or discount anytime they please.  The op needs to contact a manager to have it added back as someone else had a system glitch and removed thier HBO discount.

Scholar

• 

97 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Your answer confuses me, because @lizdance40 just stated:

“Military discount apply to ALL postpaid plans, it is 15% off the plan charge.  The 25% discount applies only to the unlimited and more plans.”

Yet you are saying that the only way to get the 15% military discount is if you were grandfathered into the discount being applied to an older plan?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.