For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
dodos313's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 4:27 AM

Using At&t Samsung Galaxy S3 as like a ipod touch?

Hello!

A week ago, I upgraded my contract and purchased a Samsung Galaxy s3 from Costco.

At the time, the white SGS3 was out of stock, so I had to order it.

The agent at Costco removed the data plan after upgrading my contract so that it won't charge me anything until I add the plan again.

On Tuesday, I received the phone.

I was going to activate the sim card and add the data plan, but since it was in the middle of the billing cycle and I didn't want to pay the prorated fees + 1 month in advance for just using the data for 10 days, I decided to wait till the first day of my billing cycle, which is next Wednesday!

Meanwhile, I decided to use it as an ipod touch.

I turned on the phone without the sim card right after I opened the box.

I was expecting the 'you cannot use until you insert a sim card' page, since there's a few videos on Youtube of how to bypass the sim card activation for verizon phones.

The phone says it has no sim card, but it seemed to be working fine and I was able to access everything on the phone. (I guess, it's only for Verizon phones)

I turned on the wifi and got the phone connected to my router.

I saw signal indicator but no 4G or LTE (it says I can make only emergency calls), so I turned on the air plane mode just in case.

Ok, here is my question.

I know, it sounds stupid, but I just want to make sure.

Can I use the At&t SGS3 as like an ipod touch? 

Will the At&T charge me for using it like that?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

@dodos313 wrote:

Hello!

A week ago, I upgraded my contract and purchased a Samsung Galaxy s3 from Costco.

At the time, the white SGS3 was out of stock, so I had to order it.

The agent at Costco removed the data plan after upgrading my contract so that it won't charge me anything until I add the plan again.

On Tuesday, I received the phone.

I was going to activate the sim card and add the data plan, but since it was in the middle of the billing cycle and I didn't want to pay the prorated fees + 1 month in advance for just using the data for 10 days, I decided to wait till the first day of my billing cycle, which is next Wednesday!

Meanwhile, I decided to use it as an ipod touch.

I turned on the phone without the sim card right after I opened the box.

I was expecting the 'you cannot use until you insert a sim card' page, since there's a few videos on Youtube of how to bypass the sim card activation for verizon phones.

The phone says it has no sim card, but it seemed to be working fine and I was able to access everything on the phone. (I guess, it's only for Verizon phones)

I turned on the wifi and got the phone connected to my router.

I saw signal indicator but no 4G or LTE (it says I can make only emergency calls), so I turned on the air plane mode just in case.

Ok, here is my question.

I know, it sounds stupid, but I just want to make sure.

Can I use the At&t SGS3 as like an ipod touch? 

Will the At&T charge me for using it like that?

Thanks!

In the situation you have described, if the SIM is not activated/inserted you would not be sending anything over the AT&T network and the device would only work on wifi, therefore there's nothing AT&T can charge you for. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.