For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
lisamenold's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 21st, 2017 11:59 PM

Upset customer

On November 2, 2017, I dropped my phone and broke the screen. On November 3, 2017, my husband and I went to the AT&T store located at 30134 Haun Road, Menifee, CA 92584 to determine my options. This is the store where my husband and I originally signed up with AT&T. We spoke to Kelly and we discussed the phones that were available and the cost per month for each phone. At the time, Kelly informed me that AT&T did not have any promotions for phones. During our conversation with Kelly, she conferred with the store manager, James ***, to see if there were any promotions that she was not aware of. She returned and informed my husband and me that there were no promotions at the time. My husband and I went out to the car to discuss what we wanted to do and we returned to the store again and spoke with Kelly to find out what we would owe if we decided to leave AT&T and switch to Verizon. Kelly pulled up our account information, with assistance from the manager, James, and she informed me that the balance owed would be $87.49. I confirmed this amount and confirmed that I would not owe anything my phone that broke and she informed me that because it was a buy one-get one free promotion, that I would not owe anything on my phone. She indicated that the only thing I would owe if I terminated service with AT&T and switched to another carrier would be $87.49 for my husband's phone. She confirmed this with the manager, James. He looked at the screen she was looking at and he confirmed the total. My husband and I made sure to go to AT&T before making any changes so that we would be able to make an informed decision based on what we would owe to AT&T.

We left AT&T and went to Verizon. Verizon had several promotions available so we switched, with the understanding that we knew what we would owe to AT&T. On December 4, 2017, we received a bill in the mail from AT&T that indicated we owed $87.49 for my husband's phone and $405.39 for my phone. We immediately called the billing department of A&T because we believed there had been a mistake on our bill. I spoke to Kayla in billing and she informed me that I would need to go back to the store in Menifee, CA and ask them to remove the charge from my account. On December 5, 2017, my husband and I went to Menifee store and spoke with the manager, James ***. After a lengthy conversation with him, he informed me that Kelly was no longer employed at his store and that he was not able to remove the charge and that I would need to discuss this with the billing department. I informed him that I had already spoken with Kayla in the billing department and he said I was misinformed when she told me to come to the store and he told me that I would need to call billing again. My husband and I stepped outside of the store and we called billing. We spoke to a very nice man named Randall. He told me that James was responsible for removing the charge since his employee gave me the wrong information and he asked me to go back inside the store so that he could speak to James. I went back in the store and James spoke to Randall on my phone. When the conversation was over, James returned the phone to me and told me that Randall yelled at him and told him that he needed to remove the charge. Randall transferred me to a manager who indicated that she would submit notes to the file and that I would be contacted within 3-5 days. I went back inside the store and James informed me that he sent an email to his general manager and that I should hear back from her in the next few day. I asked him for the email address to his general manager and he informed me that he was not allowed to provide that to me.

As of December 11, 2017, I had not received a call from the billing department or the general manager so I called the billing department and spoke with Christina. I told her the entire story and she transferred me to a manager named Cassandra. She informed me that the store manager should remove the charge because I was provided incorrect information by one of their employees. She told me to go back to the store and ask for someone to put me on the phone with the general manager or store support. I went to the store that evening, December 11, 2017, and spoke with James again. He said he was not able to put me on the phone with the general manager. I told him to please call store support and he said he did not know what that was, but he did make a phone call and spoke to someone from AT&T on speakerphone. He told them about the situation and after a long period of holding, they indicated that the charge should be removed from the bill. They said they would remove the charge, but their limit is $400.00 and the charge is for $405.39. We asked if they would remove $400.00 of the charge at least and they indicated that they are not allowed to remove a portion of a charge, it must be the entire amount and it exceeded their limit, but they felt it should be removed based on the information they were provided. James then informed us that when he sent the email to his general manager, that she was out of town and would not be back until Friday, December 15, 2017. He said that he sent her a detailed email for her to review when she returned and he asked us to come back in on Friday, December 15, 2017. My husband and I came back to the store on Friday, December 15, 2017, as instructed and I spoke to the assistant manager, Michelle ***, who informed me that James was not working and that it was a scheduled day off. He asked to come in when he clearly knew he would not be available to take care of this problem. I asked Michelle for the general manager's email address and she gave it to me without hesitation. I then went outside and called billing and spoke to Chanel. He indicated that he would process an extension to extend the payment due date so that I did not receive a late charge until this was resolved. I told him the whole story and he said he would see what he could do for me because he felt that the manager, James, had been giving me the runaround for far too long. He made extensive notes in the file and told me that he forwarded my claim to the retention department and that I should hear from someone within a week. He asked for the UID for the manager. I went into the store and spoke with Jesus who called James to ask for his UID. James told him that his UID was ***. I gave this information to Chanel who informed me that the UID I received belonged to someone named Ava. My husband went back into the store and spoke to Sara and Jesus and informed them that James gave the wrong UID. Sara called James again and he indicated that his UID was ***. I gave this information to Chanel and he informed me that my account had clear notes and that I would receive a call from someone within a week.

A week has now passed and I have not been contacted by anyone in billing or the general manager for the Menifee store. I am really frustrated and would like to be contacted regarding this issue within 24 hours. This has taken up several hours of my time and I would like it to be resolved and the charge removed immediately. I went to my AT&T store trusting that they would provide me with accurate information so that I could make a decision moving forward. If I would have been provided with accurate information, I would have made a different decision.

Lisa

[Edited for privacy. This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

I understand the frustration but if the remaining costs on the hardware, on any line that had a Next installment plan, still existed then that's the cost of the phone. If there were remaining Next installments and a device had a balance owed then upon termination of service the balance for the phones is billed on the final bill.

What's in writing, in your bill and available to view via myAT&T, shows balance remaining then that is what the balance for the cost of the phones is. A verbal promise or mistake by a rep doesn't nullify or supersede what's on your bill.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

This is not ATT support, it’s a public, customer populated forum.  You can contact ATT directly by message here @ATTCares.   It may take time for a response. 

I suspect you will get no where, especially as a FORMER customer.  

The amount owed on your phones was on your monthly bill, every month.  Even if your phone was purchased as a BOGO, the bill would show you owed $405 on it.  A credit is applied each month to offset some or all of the installment 

So Kelly didn’t look at your bill, and neither did you.  Kelly’s wrong  information isn’t going to help you much now that you left ATT.  The loyalty department has zero incentive to waive a valid charge.  

You could have replaced the screen for about $100 on most phones.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@lisamenold wrote:

On November 2, 2017, I dropped my phone and broke the screen. On November 3, 2017, my husband and I went to the AT&T store located at 30134 Haun Road, Menifee, CA 92584 to determine my options. This is the store where my husband and I originally signed up with AT&T. We spoke to Kelly and we discussed the phones that were available and the cost per month for each phone. At the time, Kelly informed me that AT&T did not have any promotions for phones. During our conversation with Kelly, she conferred with the store manager, James ***, to see if there were any promotions that she was not aware of. She returned and informed my husband and me that there were no promotions at the time. My husband and I went out to the car to discuss what we wanted to do and we returned to the store again and spoke with Kelly to find out what we would owe if we decided to leave AT&T and switch to Verizon. Kelly pulled up our account information, with assistance from the manager, James, and she informed me that the balance owed would be $87.49. I confirmed this amount and confirmed that I would not owe anything my phone that broke and she informed me that because it was a buy one-get one free promotion, that I would not owe anything on my phone. She indicated that the only thing I would owe if I terminated service with AT&T and switched to another carrier would be $87.49 for my husband's phone. She confirmed this with the manager, James. He looked at the screen she was looking at and he confirmed the total. My husband and I made sure to go to AT&T before making any changes so that we would be able to make an informed decision based on what we would owe to AT&T.

We left AT&T and went to Verizon. Verizon had several promotions available so we switched, with the understanding that we knew what we would owe to AT&T. On December 4, 2017, we received a bill in the mail from AT&T that indicated we owed $87.49 for my husband's phone and $405.39 for my phone. We immediately called the billing department of A&T because we believed there had been a mistake on our bill. I spoke to Kayla in billing and she informed me that I would need to go back to the store in Menifee, CA and ask them to remove the charge from my account. On December 5, 2017, my husband and I went to Menifee store and spoke with the manager, James ***. After a lengthy conversation with him, he informed me that Kelly was no longer employed at his store and that he was not able to remove the charge and that I would need to discuss this with the billing department. I informed him that I had already spoken with Kayla in the billing department and he said I was misinformed when she told me to come to the store and he told me that I would need to call billing again. My husband and I stepped outside of the store and we called billing. We spoke to a very nice man named Randall. He told me that James was responsible for removing the charge since his employee gave me the wrong information and he asked me to go back inside the store so that he could speak to James. I went back in the store and James spoke to Randall on my phone. When the conversation was over, James returned the phone to me and told me that Randall yelled at him and told him that he needed to remove the charge. Randall transferred me to a manager who indicated that she would submit notes to the file and that I would be contacted within 3-5 days. I went back inside the store and James informed me that he sent an email to his general manager and that I should hear back from her in the next few day. I asked him for the email address to his general manager and he informed me that he was not allowed to provide that to me.

As of December 11, 2017, I had not received a call from the billing department or the general manager so I called the billing department and spoke with Christina. I told her the entire story and she transferred me to a manager named Cassandra. She informed me that the store manager should remove the charge because I was provided incorrect information by one of their employees. She told me to go back to the store and ask for someone to put me on the phone with the general manager or store support. I went to the store that evening, December 11, 2017, and spoke with James again. He said he was not able to put me on the phone with the general manager. I told him to please call store support and he said he did not know what that was, but he did make a phone call and spoke to someone from AT&T on speakerphone. He told them about the situation and after a long period of holding, they indicated that the charge should be removed from the bill. They said they would remove the charge, but their limit is $400.00 and the charge is for $405.39. We asked if they would remove $400.00 of the charge at least and they indicated that they are not allowed to remove a portion of a charge, it must be the entire amount and it exceeded their limit, but they felt it should be removed based on the information they were provided. James then informed us that when he sent the email to his general manager, that she was out of town and would not be back until Friday, December 15, 2017. He said that he sent her a detailed email for her to review when she returned and he asked us to come back in on Friday, December 15, 2017. My husband and I came back to the store on Friday, December 15, 2017, as instructed and I spoke to the assistant manager, Michelle ***, who informed me that James was not working and that it was a scheduled day off. He asked to come in when he clearly knew he would not be available to take care of this problem. I asked Michelle for the general manager's email address and she gave it to me without hesitation. I then went outside and called billing and spoke to Chanel. He indicated that he would process an extension to extend the payment due date so that I did not receive a late charge until this was resolved. I told him the whole story and he said he would see what he could do for me because he felt that the manager, James, had been giving me the runaround for far too long. He made extensive notes in the file and told me that he forwarded my claim to the retention department and that I should hear from someone within a week. He asked for the UID for the manager. I went into the store and spoke with Jesus who called James to ask for his UID. James told him that his UID was ***. I gave this information to Chanel who informed me that the UID I received belonged to someone named Ava. My husband went back into the store and spoke to Sara and Jesus and informed them that James gave the wrong UID. Sara called James again and he indicated that his UID was ***. I gave this information to Chanel and he informed me that my account had clear notes and that I would receive a call from someone within a week.

A week has now passed and I have not been contacted by anyone in billing or the general manager for the Menifee store. I am really frustrated and would like to be contacted regarding this issue within 24 hours. This has taken up several hours of my time and I would like it to be resolved and the charge removed immediately. I went to my AT&T store trusting that they would provide me with accurate information so that I could make a decision moving forward. If I would have been provided with accurate information, I would have made a different decision.

Lisa

[Edited for privacy. This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

What makes you think there is an error on the bill? Did you think you'd paid off the phone? Were you still making payments? 

If you're going to get the bill changed, you need more "ammunition" than, "so-and-so told me," especially when the question you asked could have been easily answered by looking at your bill. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Thomas5672 wrote:

NEWSFLASH: AT&T does not care about customers! AT&T is so big and powerful, they do whatever they want and whenever they want and customers are powerless to stop them. But there is a way out. Many people have found it. My wife left them a huge bill and we will never pay AT&T another dime. You can have your device unlocked but you must do it online through AT&T.com. Do not ask a human being who works for AT&T to unlock your device because they may blacklisted. Take advantage of the fact that they’ve replaced most of their mindless human beings with computers. Once your device is unlocked, take it to another carrier and they will purchase it.  Just tell them you’re disputing something with AT&T. Other carriers are not that much better but they are definitely better than AT&T. And just in case you didn’t notice already, this so-called “chat forum” is nothing but AT&T propaganda. Anyone who criticizes AT&T on this website is usually blocked. AT&T believe strongly in the first amendment. 

You put Some  misinformation in your post.  

ATT has never blacklisted a phone for non payment.  They will not unlock a phone, not the same thing.

It is not required a device be unlocked to participate in switch offers.

ATT does not block or edit criticism.  If it did, I would have been booted years ago.  Just follow the forum rules.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T comes up with its own unique and fictitious payment methods so essentially that is a blank check.   I personally know three people who’s devices were blacklisted for what most people would consider very illegitimate reasons.  [Please keep it courteous]

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

I will pray for you Liz. I hope that one day you discover reality. Believe it or not dear, there is a world beyond AT&T. I know AT&T is brutal. Big Brother must really scare you.  I hope one day you decide to put your morals and values first and maybe find another career for company less diabolical then AT&T. God, what would Thomas Edison think if you saw this. He would be horrified.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

Employees are clearly identified.  Start your own thread.  Posting off topic rants on someone else’s post isn’t appropriate forum behavior.  If there was anything helpful or ON TOPIC no one would mind.

The only time ATT blacklists a phone is on the request of the owner of record or Asurion when they have replaced a phone as stolen or lost.  Without the full story behind your friends blacklists, I give this zero credibility.  People default on postpaid all the time and use the phones on prepaid or Cricket with no problems.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

My dear Liz.  This is about principles and basic ethics, which you are unable to comprehend. AT&T is just part of a larger problem. Throughout history, it’s always been the case when one company becomes too big and controls too much of the marketplace, there is no longer an incentive to conduct business honestly. I don’t feel like what I’m saying is off-topic at all. I’m just simply teaching these victims how they can get away from AT&T and that there are other choices. Sure, all businesses have their own schemes and market tactics. But AT&T is very special. Always getting in trouble with the federal government. It’s got an F according to the BBB and receives more customer complaints than any corporation in global history. AT&T is exceptional. Let’s not forget they were broken up already once in the 1980s. Which is why the FTA needs to break it up again along with a few other large Internet corporations. Even Adam Smith warned against one business from becoming too big. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Thomas5672 wrote:

My dear Liz.  This is about principles and basic ethics, which you are unable to comprehend. AT&T is just part of a larger problem. Throughout history, it’s always been the case when one company becomes too big and controls too much of the marketplace, there is no longer an incentive to conduct business honestly. I don’t feel like what I’m saying is off-topic at all. I’m just simply teaching these victims how they can get away from AT&T and that there are other choices. Sure, all businesses have their own schemes and market tactics. But AT&T is very special. Always getting in trouble with the federal government. It’s got an F according to the BBB and receives more customer complaints than any corporation in global history. AT&T is exceptional. Let’s not forget they were broken up already once in the 1980s. Which is why the FTA needs to break it up again along with a few other large Internet corporations. Even Adam Smith warned against one business from becoming too big. 

No one would disagree as all that is true.  But this isn’t about you.  It’s about the OP looking for help.  You want to tell everyone how ATT did you wrong, do so on your own thread and stop bombing the forum when others are actually trying to get assistance.  

Im sure they are bright enough to leave ATT if they don’t get a reasonable solution.  But for gosh sakes, give them a chance to get their money back, or whatever other help they need.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.