Need help understanding your bill?
sagar14patel's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, May 31st, 2013 6:38 AM

Upgraded data plan mid-cycle..billing and usage question?

I upgraded my data plan from 300mb to 3gb recently.  My cycle starts on the 24th, and I changed it on May 27th (4 days into it).  Before I upgraded, I had used 66 out of 300 mb.  

On the ATT billing page, it says my data charges will be prorated, but I can't find a clear answer to how this will affect my bill and usage.  How much data am I allotted from now until June 24th, and how much will I have to pay for this upgrade on my next bill?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sagar14patel wrote:

I upgraded my data plan from 300mb to 3gb recently.  My cycle starts on the 24th, and I changed it on May 27th (4 days into it).  Before I upgraded, I had used 66 out of 300 mb.  

On the ATT billing page, it says my data charges will be prorated, but I can't find a clear answer to how this will affect my bill and usage.  How much data am I allotted from now until June 24th, and how much will I have to pay for this upgrade on my next bill?  

take a look here for an explination on pro-rated bills

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Wireless-Reading-Your-Bill-and-Understanding-the-Charges-viewing/m-p/3222393#U3222393

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

From 5/24 - 5/26 (3 days) you get a prorated allowance of 29MB. (300MB divided by 31 days, multiply by 3 days you have that plan) If you had already used 66MB, that means you went over your allowance by 37MB. Your overage rate is another $20 for another 300MB, even if you have a prorated allowance of 37MB.

From 5/27 - 6/23 you get a prorated allowance of 2774MB or 2.71GB. Same formula above applies, 1024MB for every 1GB.

As for additional costs for the plan increase, next months bill should be the new cost that's $10 more plus a prorated difference for this bill cycle of $9.03.

Overall, you're looking at next months bill to be about $39.03 higher than normal, then your bills afterwards should be just the regular $10 increase for the 3GB plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

11 years ago

@sagar14patel wrote:

You would be allotted about 2.7 gb for the partial cycle. I would contact AT&T and see if they can change the effective date of the change to the beginning of the cycle, because you would only have about 30 mb for the first part of the cycle, and you went over, so you might be billed overages for those first few days on the old plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just talke to customer care and I was told the data allowance is not Prorated. If you did not exceed the data limit on the day of the change of data plan, you will get prorated charges for the old and new plan and you will use the full data in the new plan (data usage will be reset to zero on the day of change) for the rest of the billing cycle.

Example: If you have 15GB plan ($100). On 21st day of the billing cycle, if you have used 14.75GB and you upgrade to 20GB plan ($140) EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY and change it back to 15GB effective start of next billing cycle. Your data usage will be reset to zero on 21st day and you will have 20 GB to use for the remaining 10 days. You have effectively got 34.75GB (14.75+20) for this billing cycle. Your bill will be as follows (in addition to your regular charges)

Credit for the old data plan for the remaining 10 days = 1/3 x $100 = $33.33

Debit for the new data plan for the remaining 10 days = 1/3 x $140 = $46.66

Net increase in bill = 46.66 - 33.33 = $13.33

The cost provided above is for explanation purpose only and is approximated.

There is no proration of the data allowance. Only the data cost is prorated. If this is not true, the customer care I spoke to, has lied or is not aware of the system.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Since I have not exceeded my allotted usage at this time why can't I just change my data usage plan now for only $10 till the end of my billing period and keep the plan going forward for an increase of $10 .
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.