For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Ultrarunner's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, May 19th, 2017 7:16 PM

Upgrade, Promotion and Activation Fee

My problem is that I went into your store with a good working phone and left with a $891.50 bill.  I was told that I was entitled to an upgrade.  Without hesitation, I asked how much would it cost?  He stated about $150, without any further detail. 

Now, when I get my monthly billing it increase 38% plus I paid an addt'l $241.51 for accessories. 

No way, will I ever refer anyone to AT&T or except any upgrades. I will take my business elsewhere.  I'm an married senior citizen on social security and an disabled veteran, so I'm on a fixed income; hence for, I don't need the upgrades.

I'm completely unsatisfied that I received a promotional letter in my last billing for an offer to get a new tablet for $.99 and add it to my account when I was charge $99.99 for the new I-Pad.  Also, I was charged $45 activation for the new I-Pad, a charge that was not necessary explained as so the total upgrade. 

Sales representatives are good at their job, too good!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

So you are angry because you can't say no? If you didn't need an upgrade, why did you go ahead and buy it? Why did you buy anything? Of course the sales people are going to try to sell you stuff, that's their job.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

The representative just lied to me a little bit! Besides having an hearing impairment, he took advantage. He fabricated the transaction. I learn a lesson to walk away from a deal that is too true to be true. Before AT&T always presented a estimated contract, currently they do not do this anymore. My ignorance cost me not you.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Ultrarunner  

In the past 3.5 years all carriers have stoped using contracts, lowered the price of service and separated the cost of phones.  Phones are sold in installments.  

So there is no where to go that you won't pay full retail price for a phone.  

You can buy a less expensive phone and pay full price so you don't increase your monthly bill.

Sales tax must be paid up front, per your state law.

cases and screen covers can be purchased from Amazon for a fraction of what you paid.

If you haven't changed your plan in a long time, you may be paying too much.  There are new plans with lower cost.

If you login to your account online, you can see what other plan option you have.  First see how much data you use on a high month so you don't run short.

IMG_5682.PNG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Ultrarunner wrote:

My problem is that I went into your store with a good working phone and left with a $891.50 bill.  I was told that I was entitled to an upgrade.  Without hesitation, I asked how much would it cost?  He stated about $150, without any further detail. 

Now, when I get my monthly billing it increase 38% plus I paid an addt'l $241.51 for accessories. 

Buying things WILL increase your bill!

What does the receipt that you walked out of the store with say?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Ultrarunner Just a note about the iPad, the $99 price is a deal for an iPad. That $0.99 tablet offer you saw in your bill is not an iPad and not a tablet I'd ever want. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get that tablet. As for the $45 activation fee, that would have been charged regardless of which tablet you got.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Ultrarunner Just a note about the iPad, the $99 price is a deal for an iPad. That $0.99 tablet offer you saw in your bill is not an iPad and not a tablet I'd ever want. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get that tablet. As for the $45 activation fee, that would have been charged regardless of which tablet you got.

That's true, iPads are generally not marketed with the watered-down term of "tablet" (it's an "iPad").

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Besides, when I took my old I-Phone in the next day to show that it was in working condition.  It was not in working condition the day before, then I asked if he could service it?  He returned and said he could not get it to work.  I was in need a working phone that weekend for emergency purposes that I had no time to shop around but upgrade.   I never had the intent to purchase a new one if it could be fixed.  It was not fixable according to him. His associates had no idea why he couldn't have fixed it.  Bummer!   

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Ultrarunner wrote:

Besides, when I took my old I-Phone in the next day to show that it was in working condition.  It was not in working condition the day before, then I asked if he could service it?  He returned and said he could not get it to work.  I was in need a working phone that weekend for emergency purposes that I had no time to shop around but upgrade.   I never had the intent to purchase a new one if it could be fixed.  It was not fixable according to him. His associates had no idea why he couldn't have fixed it.  Bummer!   

AT&T doesn't service iPhones as far as I know. You need to take it to Apple.

You could always pick up a cheap phone to use for the weekend so that you have time to shop around. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

PS:  I already had an activated I-Pad with you, the new one was replacing the one that was already in service!  I wasn't informed there would be a $45 activation fee.  Since there was no activation fee surcharge on the new phone, I assume the same for the I-Pad.  If I told that their would have been a $45 activation fee, I would have activated it myself online.  And if, I was told that I couldn't change the device online, I wouldn't have brought it!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Ultrarunner wrote:

AT&T doesn't service iPhones as far as I know. You need to take it to Apple.

You could always pick up a cheap phone to use for the weekend so that you have time to shop around. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.