Need help understanding your bill?
new70plus's profile

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, August 2nd, 2017 3:24 AM

Unlimited plus plan (with 10GB tethering)

Just began using the new unlimited plus plan w/ tethering.  I have a Samsung s8, and found out that I can tether while on WiFi ???.  Is this new with the s8, or with At&t's new plan?  Even though I was on WiFi, I was charged for data used while tethering. (? Billing error?).  Anyway, my main concern is:

How do I track the tethering data?  I know all was tethering tonight, because I was hoping to see something on the bill showing tethering.  But in general, how will I know when I'm close to my tethering limit?  

I saw the team responses ("a whole lotta data...") about the 22GB priortization (not throttling), but saw nothing about the 10GB tethering "throttling".  Anyone want to take a crack at explaining how it will work?

Thanks in advance for your help with both (or all 3) issues.

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Ugh.  just answered one of my own questions.  It appears "MyATT" app tracks data differently than att.com.  MyAtt shows "hotspot" data entry.  Nothing in att.com distinguishes the mobile data.  So I guess I can track my own usage, but not other numbers in the plan.  So, I just need answers on how the 10GB "throttling" works - Is it throttling for rest of month, or prioritization like the 22GB limit?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@new70plus If tethering, I'd think the phone would switch to cellular for the data download. That's kinda what you told it to do, right? I guess why would you tether if you are on WiFi?  

(I'm pretty sure if you're on a plan and pay to connect your phone to the WiFi on the plane, you can't share it by tethering as tethering wants to use the cellular).

You should be able to see an option in the settings for your cellular and see the amount tethering has used. (It's in there somewhere).

(Shh, don't tell anyone, but I don't believe AT&T is actually slowing people down yet when they exceed 10GB).

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Oops - I was on the data usage screen, not the myapps.  I do not expect att to rely on the user's data usage screen, when many users likely do not have att phones.  Once again, I'm at a loss on how they track tethered usage, and what type of "throttling" might occur at 10GB

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@new70plus wrote:

Oops - I was on the data usage screen, not the myapps.  I do not expect att to rely on the user's data usage screen, when many users likely do not have att phones.  Once again, I'm at a loss on how they track tethered usage, and what type of "throttling" might occur at 10GB

What is supposed to happen is that data speeds while tethering drop to 2G levels for the remainder of the bill cycle. What we're hearing is that data speeds are not being throttled after 10GB yet.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.