For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
gkilzi's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 6:54 PM

Closed

Unfairly charged for replacement phone. AT&T is playing games.

There was a simple problem with my phone. An earpiece wouldn't stay in....simple, right? There was a warranty and insurance on it. After searching for an AT&T repair center and the unskilled employees not being able to fix the problem, they told me to ship the phone and a new one would arrive in the mail. Fine. I get the new phone and ship the other phone in the box they supplied. I thought everything was resolved. NOW I receive the old phone with a note saying they won't accept it because there is a screw missing in the back. Why in the world would I take out a screw in the back. I didn't even know there were screws in the phone. Again go back to unskilled employees at repair center who says, just put the screw in from your new phone...what in the world is going on with these screws and why are they so valuable and vital to these phones?? I do that, and send the phone back. NOW there is a charge on my account for over $500!!!!! The customer service person says, we won't accept the phone back because your warranty expired and you must pay the bill. There is no way we can reverse the charge. Well, I think you can. I did this all in a timely manner and expected AT&T to honor the warranty and insurance. Who can I speak to about this issue. It looks like there is no contact information on this website other than customer service and I can't bear to waste my time again speaking to someone who has no authority. What kind of game is AT&T playing here?

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@gkilzi wrote:

There was a simple problem with my phone. An earpiece wouldn't stay in....simple, right? There was a warranty and insurance on it. After searching for an AT&T repair center and the unskilled employees not being able to fix the problem, they told me to ship the phone and a new one would arrive in the mail. Fine. I get the new phone and ship the other phone in the box they supplied. I thought everything was resolved. NOW I receive the old phone with a note saying they won't accept it because there is a screw missing in the back. Why in the world would I take out a screw in the back. I didn't even know there were screws in the phone. Again go back to unskilled employees at repair center who says, just put the screw in from your new phone...what in the world is going on with these screws and why are they so valuable and vital to these phones?? I do that, and send the phone back. NOW there is a charge on my account for over $500!!!!! The customer service person says, we won't accept the phone back because your warranty expired and you must pay the bill. There is no way we can reverse the charge. Well, I think you can. I did this all in a timely manner and expected AT&T to honor the warranty and insurance. Who can I speak to about this issue. It looks like there is no contact information on this website other than customer service and I can't bear to waste my time again speaking to someone who has no authority. What kind of game is AT&T playing here?

The "game" AT&T is playing is that they are voiding your warranty because they detected signs that an un-authorized party appears to have attempted to repair the phone (hence the missing screw).  You will find almost every cell phone manufacturer take teh same stance.  If they find signs that someone tried to repair a phone and it is not documented in their repair system that it was worked on my one of their repair techs, then it was an un-authorized repair, whocu could have damaged the phone.

Regretfully there are many customers out there who would try to fix a "simple problem" by themselves, and in the end damage their phone, so they send it in for warranty service claiming that "it just quit working".  All of those people doing that increase the costs for everyone, and they also cause problems like you are seeing now where your warranty has been voided because they detected that an "un-authorized repair" was attempted on your phone.  You can try contacting customer care to see if they can assist you, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that to happen.  This is very similar to all the people who have had issues with their phones indicating "water damage" because an indicator sticker has changed from white to pink or red.  Some of these people have gotten their phones wet and deny it, others have just happened to have their phone in very moist environments causing the sensor to get tripped.  I had this happen to me once bwcuase I had my phone in my sirt poscket while shoveling snow.  When I pulled my iPhone out, t was covered in condensed perspiration.  Luckily for me, I never needed to take that phone in for service.

Try contacting Customer Care (you can click the link in my signature) and let them know what has happened.  It is possible that they can work some solution with you.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have no way of proving that I didn't take out a screw even though I wouldn't know how to do that. I just put it in the box and sent it out. I have no reason to try and fool AT&T. I was shocked when I got the letter. It has taken so much of my time and I thought when I shipped it back that it would be resolved. I honestly can't speak to another customer service person and have them give me the "I understand, but..." lines anymore. I simply do not want to pay over $500 for a returned phone. It doesn't seem right at all to charge a loyal customer.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Just wondering what ever happened with your case?  I am currently going through the same thing.  My phone literally quit working in less than 90 days!  I sent it back, get replacement, then 2 weeks later my original devise returned - now with a cracked screen and a letter stating I am being charged $750.  After contacting customer care, I was sent pictures of "when the package was opened".  I noticed in the pictures, this wasn't even the same packaging I sent my devise in with?!  If you can offer any help, please do so.

Thanks

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines.]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

They are literally the greediest company I have ever dealt with. They charge you a late fee if you are one second late on your enormous monthly bill. Like they really need my $5.00. I have so many different services that I pay; cable, wireless, insurance, utilities, etc. and not one of these companies charges a late fee. So greedy and horrible customer service.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@gkilzi wrote:
They are literally the greediest company I have ever dealt with. They charge you a late fee if you are one second late on your enormous monthly bill. Like they really need my $5.00. I have so many different services that I pay; cable, wireless, insurance, utilities, etc. and not one of these companies charges a late fee. So greedy and horrible customer service.

What's the word for people who pay their bills late? 

You don't seem to be concerned that you've paid all your bills late (cable, wireless, insurance, utilities, etc. ) at one time or another. I'd have to think this knowledge is from experience and not because you read all of the terms of service at all those companies...

• 

44 Messages

7 years ago

Due to the age of the OP, this topic has been closed to new replies. If you wish to discuss a similar issue, then please post a new message on the board that best matches the subject that you wish to discuss. Thanks!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.