Need help understanding your bill?
cmikechavez's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, February 10th, 2016 8:35 PM

Unexpected charges!

I recently added a line to my cell phone plan, a line for my mom, purchased 2 tablets as well, and changed my data plan. I was told I would be charged x amount with a breakdown of the charges which I have, but my bill is almost $300 more than I was told it would be. I am being charged for data on my tablets which I NEVER needed or wanted, several protection pack fees, mobile data sharing fee, activation fee, and show a total of 5 phone numbers on my plan! I only have my phone line and the one I added for my mother. This is insane! What can be done??

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

If you check the paperwork on your tablet purchases, it will indicate these devices are added to your mobile share plan. They are lines just like cellular phones, data only. You may cancel any mobile insurance however. Activation fees apply on the tablets. They are connected devices that are on the network just like a phone.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1184977

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I understand that, but that was never mentioned upfront, and was not detailed in the breakdown the AT&T employee gave us in writing. We didn't go over any data, we use wifi at home, but were not aware of the charges. We do not need the mobile data share for the tablets... is removing the insurance the only way to not be charged in the future?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

If you don't want cellular plan on tablets, why did you buy at a cellular carrier where they will have cellular and a charge on your plan?  Did you pay full price, or buy the tablets at a discount?

You would have incurred one time fees for each new line of $45 (3 lines)

If you changed plans mid- month, you would also have an additional prorated data plan charge.

You can remove insurance.

Im puzzled as to why you see 5 lines, you should see 4, 2 phones and 2 tablets.

Your regular monthly bill will be closer to $150, but I am guessing based on subtracting activation fees and insurance and not knowing your data plan or how you bought phones.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

We purchased the tablet, one was $100, and the other was free when adding an additional line. I can buy a tablet from anywhere, any wireless carrier, flat out without adding a data service...  Again, had we known about the charges, which you'd think would have been mentioned during the three hours we sat there going back and forth covering all charges to come, we wouldn't had taken the tablets. Given a breakdown in writing of all upcoming fees, because I've been with Att for years and added devices, changed plans, etc. and am aware of hidden fees, we made sure we understood what we were getting into. Obviously not. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Anytime you get a "free" tablet, it is under a 2 year contract at $10 service fee.  Don't know which tablet, but there was a couple of tablets in the $99 price range on 2 year contracts.

Yes, you can buy tablets from other carriers at full price.   Here is Verizon's tablet shop, the cheapest is $229.   http://www.verizonwireless.com/tablets/page-2/

Or you could have purchased a wifi only tablet at Best Buy for $50-$100.  

I realize you feel bilked.  If you had read your purchase agreement and sales slip, this was all there.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Same thinghappened to me- i put a plan togeather and got quoted a monthly rate- yet after taking to the rep to order she had a higher price, come to find out that ever service I order and the phone cost was listed. but my rate plan which was 40.00 was listed with no cost.,

bottom on page said" Total monthly payment $61.38" rep added 40.00 onto. Odd isnt it- isnt that also bait and switch/fraud

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

tried to respond but "there was an error with posting my message"  watch ur bill

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.