Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unexpected International data usage

Contributor

Unexpected International data usage

Is there any recourse to having an unexpected international data charge mitigated?  On a recent, one-night visit to Canada my wife's mobile phone incurred a charge for 78,169 KB of data usage at 3:00 a.m.  We were otherwise careful not to use our phones during this visit, being acutely aware of such international charges, yet some app decided to do a large data transfer in the middle-of-the-night.  We are long-time (decades) customers of AT&T and would like to think that some accommodation could be made.  Yes, we made two mistakes: 1) we neglected to arrange for international usage, and 2) we then neglected to turn off our data, yet we thought we'd be okay if we were careful.  But such oversights do happen, and we'd like to think there are forgiving folks at AT&T from time to time.

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Unexpected International data usage

This forum is not customer support. All you can do is call and hope they offer some relief. If your bill with those charges has not been produced yet, they will backdate an international plan but once the bill is generated, too late.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Unexpected International data usage

Thank you! I wish I had known that. I did call AT&T when I first discovered the charge PRIOR to the bill being generated, and I was told they could do nothing UNTIL the charge had posted. No one offered to back-date an appropriate international plan to handle this unexpected charge, but had suggested I call back after the statement for that time period was finalized. I guess I've learned an expensive lesson and will certainly be much more careful next time and also more proactive should I make such a mistake in the future. (We usually are very careful with our international travel and do sign-up for international plans when appropriate.) Lessons learned!!
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support