For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
TraderBill's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 10th, 2012 12:21 PM

Understanding Sales Taxes Charged

Can anyone explain the difference between "City District Sales Tax: and "City Sales Tax", both of which appear on my AT&T U-Verse wireless, internet, TV and U-verse Voice billings? How do they differ from "Local Sales Tax" which is listed as a separate charge?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@TraderBill wrote:
Wingrider, Thanks, but that billing example did not show the category I'm inquiring about. How else can I determine what the definition is of "City District Sales Tax", which only began appearing on our billing in November of last year? I understand regular city and state sales taxes, but this line item is new. On the current month's billing it equals 45% of (and in addition to) the city sales tax charge, so it is not an insignificant number. A third local tax -- "City Sales Tax - Telecom" -- also shows up on our wireless and U-Verse Voice billing, while both the regular city sales tax and the City District Sales Tax shows up on Internet, TV, Wireless and Voice. Obviously, AT&T must collect these taxes and pass them along, but it would be helpful to know how they're defined.

I would guess contact you local tax office, a quick search brought up something about a special crime prevention plan that was / is funded with a "district charge"  and a few other things, but nothing specific. It looks like everything is local dependant there. 

November of last year puts it around voting time for new and improved taxes and surcharges

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@TraderBill wrote:
Can anyone explain the difference between "City District Sales Tax: and "City Sales Tax", both of which appear on my AT&T U-Verse wireless, internet, TV and U-verse Voice billings? How do they differ from "Local Sales Tax" which is listed as a separate charge?

not sure but that might be a better question asked of you local goverment. don;t see both of the lines on my bill, it maybe specific to your residence location

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

12 years ago

what state ?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Texas.

City = San Antonio

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@TraderBill wrote:

Texas.

City = San Antonio

this might help - it is listed for wired but it might give you an idea

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=5943

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Wingrider, Thanks, but that billing example did not show the category I'm inquiring about. How else can I determine what the definition is of "City District Sales Tax", which only began appearing on our billing in November of last year? I understand regular city and state sales taxes, but this line item is new. On the current month's billing it equals 45% of (and in addition to) the city sales tax charge, so it is not an insignificant number. A third local tax -- "City Sales Tax - Telecom" -- also shows up on our wireless and U-Verse Voice billing, while both the regular city sales tax and the City District Sales Tax shows up on Internet, TV, Wireless and Voice. Obviously, AT&T must collect these taxes and pass them along, but it would be helpful to know how they're defined.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for your help. I'm sure with the myriad of tax districts and tax requirements with which AT&T must comply, it's probably a full time job for a lot of folks just to keep the data current.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@TraderBill wrote:
Thanks for your help. I'm sure with the myriad of tax districts and tax requirements with which AT&T must comply, it's probably a full time job for a lot of folks just to keep the data current.

you are welcome, I keep expecting to get charged a tax on the tax that I had to pay another tax on:)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.