For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
mschuette's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 13th, 2015 6:32 PM

Closed

Unbelievable $1000+ of International data charges

I recently went overseas, and when I landed I received a message notifying me of high international data rates, including a phone number for a free call to international customer support. 

I immediately called the international customer care team to avoid any charges while traveling. The first call was dropped so I called back immediately. Then I was asked to verify the social of the account owner (which is my mother on our family plan) and was unable to call her because I was out of the country and did not want to get charged. The rep insisted she could not give me any info and to call back when I got back to the US. I thought all was fine since I hadn't used any apps/data and turned my phone off for the rest of the trip.

I called international customer support as soon as I landed at the Houston airpot, and it turns out that the 10 minutes I was getting connected to Customer Support and briefly speaking with them my phone racked up 50MB of background data equating to $1028!!! I was in complete shock. The customer rep offered to backdate my plan and add an international data package (costing around $20 - $30) which would have been acceptable to pay. She came back on the line notifying me that my bill had closed as of two days ago and there was no way to add the international data package as explained. The most she could credit back was 50% of the charges which she did and still left me with $500+ data charges, for the 10 minutes WHILE TRYING TO AVOID ANY OF THIS. I said the 50% is great, but that's not going to solve this issue as I'm left with $500. Her manager said she could not assist me any further and to call back tomorrow. 

The next day I contacted international support again, and after explaining the situation, the nice lady said that she will have the remaining 50% credited to my account and to check with my local ATT store in the next couple days to make sure everything was taken care of. So I did exactly that, and a week later the other 50% of the charges had not been credited, and there were no notes on the account AT ALL. I was blatantly lied to.

I have since spoken to multiple customer service reps, interational service reps, their managers, and my local ATT store manager, who all insist that although they agree that I should not have to pay for these charges, they do not have the authority to credit more than 50% of any charges back to the account. I have spent 10+ hours trying to get in contact with someone who does have that authority, because someone in a $130 BILLION corporation has to be able to. I was only referred to a MAILING ADDRESS to ATT corporate. 

My family and I are loyal customers and have never missed a bill and would like to continue the great relationship with ATT that we've had, but this is unacceptable and makes it very difficult to justify to continue being their customer. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

I’m baffled why none of you planned ahead for your trip, and now blame the carrier because you racked up roaming fees.   If you want ATT (or another carrier) to prevent high fees, you better leave you phone with them when you travel.  

I hope the OP and others made the mistake ONCE and now plan ahead with a travel plan or use airplane mode.

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans.html

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/International-Travel-amp-Wireless-Service-Top-10-Things-to-Know/ba-p/5473479

Live and learn, but maybe not the HARD way?

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there @mschuette

I’m sorry to hear you experienced roaming charges while travelling. I’d be happy to help!

Can you please send me a private message by Clicking Here and we’ll look into this together and work towards a resolution! Please include the following:

• Full name
  • Email address
  • Cell number
  • Date of leaving US
  • Date of return
  • Date of usage alert/call to international care

Thanks,

Charise

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

**UPDATE**

Charise from ATTMobilityCare promptly responded to this issue and started a case with the ATT adjustment team. Three days later the issue has been resolved and our account was credited the remaining 50% of the charges. 

Charise had been of more assistance than the 15 hours spent on the phone with customer support. 

My family and I are glad ATT took the time to keep their customers happy, and we look forward to remaining loyal customers in the future. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am currently involved in the same issue. I was on a cruise last week and while in St. Thomas I logged onto free wifi to check work emails. I then reboarded the ship and did not realize I had not turned my phone off. After an 30 mins I realized I heard the familiar new email chime and quickly grabbed my phone to turn it off. After recieving the same message from at&t saying I had occurred high international charges I placed a phone call with them and to my AMAZEMENT I had racked up over 103mbs of roaming data. They then told me that it will be billed at $10.00 PER Mb!!! So I am looking at over $1,000 for some crummy work emails that I ACCIDENTLY downloaded.

I have been a loyal At&t customer for over 3 years and spend over $3,600 annually with them for my families cell service. I am left speechless. Its simply robbery. I am willing to accept some cost for my unfortunate mistake but over $1,000!! NO WAY

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

8 years ago

Hello @lagunitas83

I'm sorry you're having some issues with your plan and international usage. Usually you should have an option to select an international plan to cover the usage under that plan, instead of pay per use charges. We'll be happy to review your account and help with whatever we can! Please send us a private message by clicking here. Please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hello,

I have similar issue and unfortunately ATT customer service has not been of any help upto this point.

On a recent trip to Europe, I had my phone turned-off most of the time. The only time I had turned it on was when I checked into my Hotel and used their wifi or when I visited my family in Switzerland and connected into their wifi. I used Whatsapp and was under the impression that I was using wifi. AT&T has charged me $220 and claim that I used 110MB of data. This is ridiculous!! AT&T should not charge its customers any international data when people use wifi. I do not know how to resolve this.

I travel quite a bit internationally on business and this situation will essentially create a bad experience for me even if I am at an international airport on a wifi 

I appreciate any help!!

-SK8191

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Something similar happened to me five years ago in Budapest. I signed on for an international plan from the Budapest Airport and was quoted a reasonable package. I ended up paying hundreds of dollars in addition to what I was quoted and then was given all the rigamarole about billing period start/end, etc., none of which was mentioned in the airport. I spent days working on spreadsheets but finally gave up as I am self-employed and am losing money when I spend my time sorting out these things. Last year long after the fact a nice rep on this page offered to help me and she would need to do background research but then I had follow up with another rep who told me that it was too long ago and I was basically out of luck. I'm glad your case resolved in your favor. I am very tired of owing megabillion dollar corporations whatever they deem with interest, penalties and fees forever, but when they take my money from me unfairly I am out of luck. Late night ranting after paying another late fee in advance of bill due date.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject, and a great solution! The topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

To discuss a new topic, please use the "Ask A Question" button above.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.