Need help understanding your bill?
Judson50's profile

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

Saturday, September 20th, 2014 4:13 AM

Trying to Understand Changes to At&t's monthly charges

I am SO confused and I can't get an answer.

I have two (2) iphones on my account, one with unlimited data ($30/mo) and one with 2GB.
Every two (2) years I upgrade my iphone, 4 then to the 5 and now to the 6
I"m on the same family plan I've been on since 2005

However...

This time I was told I was going to be charged an additional $40/month because I was upgrading and re-signing my 2 year contract. The At&t rep I was speaking to couldn't answer my questions and told me I needed to jump on the Next plan because At&t doesn't want to do two (2) year contracts anymore.

I've searched the web and there is so much unreliable conjecture out there.

All I'd like to do is upgrade my phone to an iPhone 6 and keep my exact same costs/plan/rates.

Does anyone know how this works?

Former Employee

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Judson50,

I can help with what the representative was trying to explain. On Feburary 1st of 2014, AT&T changed their terms and conditions that state that if a customer signs up for a new two year contract and is on the Mobile share value plans they will loose their mobile share value discount of either $15 or $25 which is determined by data. This makes it so that the monthly recurring charges for the Mobile share value are what ever the price of the data is + $40 a month for the phone to be on the account.

Since you are on an old plan (Family talk nation, nation individual talk, or senior plan) you will not be affected by this. How your bill looks, is that you have the price of what ever the voice plan is you have + Data since all smart phones require a data package + extra features like text messaging or insurance. However please keep in mind when you sign a two year contract there is a $40 upgrade or activation fee along with the subsizdised price of the phone. The $40 activation or upgrade fee is shown on your next months bill cycle.

Hop this helps (^ W^)/

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks that does help. I have a couple of follow up questions

The one time fee doesn't bother me. I'm comfortable with that.

I just went to my At&t business acount (I have a FAN number) and went to my phone, clicked upgrade eligablity, then click 2 year commitment on iphone 6 and it states it will cost me $449.99.

Why would it cost me that?

Former Employee

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Hi again Judson50,

I'm glad my info was able to help.

Unfortunately I don't quite have an anwser for why your phone would cost this amount. But since this is part of a business account, it may have to do with how your employer has set up their discounts. I would recomend giving us a call and having one of our representatives take a look in detail at what your FAN discount covers and what it does not. I apologize that this isn't the best anwser but I hope it still helps.

( o_o)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

That looks to me to be the early upgrade price which is the full upgrade price plus $250. You get the early upgrade price if you are not yet eligible for the full upgrade. You aren't eligible for the full upgrade price until your previous contract is complete.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.