Explore & discover

Helpful Links

TERMINATION CHARGE

Contributor

TERMINATION CHARGE

First, let me start by saying that in my many years[~20 years] of being a loyalty customer with AT&T, I have rarely complain except consistently convey respect for a company like AT&T. I am writing this letter to you today because of the mistreat was handled by one of the AT&T representative. I have called several times this year to see if I can cancel my service contract. I was informed to wait til Sept 2016 so I can avoid the termination fee. In mid September 2016, I got connected with an AT&T representative via AT&T Chat and asked to see if I have reached the end of my contract yet? I was told Yes - your contract has been ended and it is fine to cancel without a penalty. A few weeks later, I was billed with the termination fee for $95+tax. I called AT&T and asked to speak to a supervisor, after of being told there is nothing AT&T can do since I have violated the service term. So, while I’m not going to get into a game of dictionary here, that has been my experience with the supervisor who had threaten me that "your credit will delinquent if fail to pay the bill". If I’d argue, this will not getting anywhere and up against a lesser intellect. I had challenged him to go back and check the call logs, and give me the fairness that I deserved. I have no way of checking the exact date on my service contract - that's why I believed and relied on the information that was given to me by one of the AT&T representative. Having said all of that, I think we all understand that this transpiring was not helpful to you in the least, but I’m very disappointed by the way it was informed/handled by your employees. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: TERMINATION CHARGE

@quynh_chau This is a customer forum, not AT&T support (but someone may see your message).

I've seen this before people canceling too early, I've even see people pay off the 24th month but still have a few days left of their two years and get the ETF bill ($325 minus $10 for each full month of completed Service Commitment).

They also don't have much motivation to help you since you're not a customere any more either.

From a legal perspective it's up to you to know your end date.

Yes, they should be able to correctly tell you your end date, but in the end it is up to you. 

You don't have a bill or something from when you got your phone or an old bill to show it being activated on the plan?  Just to double-check...

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 3
ACE - Sage

Re: TERMINATION CHARGE

I have to agree with @Gary L.  Your contract end date was available online for you to view any time.  

The $95 is not a penalty.  It is the completion of your contract to pay off your phone, which you purchased at a discount.  Once paid off the phone is entirely yours and unlockable for use with another carrier.  

If it goes to collection ATT will never unlock the phone.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support