Need help understanding your bill?
Ericagr's profile

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 11:31 AM

Switcher program is a scam

I switched 5 lines to ATT. I traded my phones in and received a credit for the phones that was applied to my Att bill. I still owed money for the phones and att said they would pay any early termination fees and the balance of the phones off. But they actually subtract what the credit they give you to pay your other wireless provider off. So basically I am stuck with a $1200 bill from T-Mobile to pay out of pocket. It is a scam especially if you have multiple phones. You are being giving a credit for a phone that you give to them then they take the credit back by making you apply it to your old bill. So you will end paying on your old bill, paying activation fees, taxes so they are scamming people. I plan on filling a compliant

Guru

• 

901 Messages

7 years ago

You are responsible to pay off T-Mobile.  Say you owe T-Mobile $1200, AT&T gives you say a $1000 credit for your phones, therefore they only owe you another $200, not another $1200.  The switcher program isn't a way for you to make a profit.  So this is no scam, yes you need to pay the activation fees and taxes.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

It's not a scam.   The switch offer from all carriers is basically buying your phone off you for what you owe.  It's the SAME EXACT offer from all the major carriers.

Its a reimbursement only, not a money making offer.  

Had you read the offers, you would have known how it works.     

No carrier pays your previous carrier for you!!   

You have to pay your own bills!

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

4 Attachments

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

Don't tell me what is not misleading, I gave them a device , 4 iPhones to be exact so they should have paid me, that money should be mine to pay to T-Mobile. Having to pay a $1200 bill at 1 time is not what I signed up for, I would have just kept my phones and let ATT pay up to the &650 per line and I wouldn't have a huge bill to pay . {keep it courteous} [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

I would rather have kept my own phones and had them pay the 650 per line and I wouldn't have this bill.[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].. So thank you but no thank you

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Neither of the responses you got were from ATT employees. Employees are clearly marked. Neither of them were "smart mouthed" either, just factual. We get that you are angry but maybe you wouldn't be so angry had you known the facts before taking the offer.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Ericagr wrote:
I would rather have kept my own phones and had them pay the 650 per line and I wouldn't have th[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. So thank you but no thank you

Read the offer.  It was not for $650.  It was for UP TO $650.   Just like every other carrier offer.  

You could have kept the phones, but ATT would not pay you anything, and you would still owe T-mobile the $1,200.  

BTW you can't sue your wireless carrier, Supreme Court says you can't.   Especially not when you're  wrong.   

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

I didn't need $650 for each line {keep it courteous}
They are 1000's of complaints concerning this . program . [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. I am willing to go the distance for this because no one should have to pay a $1200 bill just to switch. What's the purpose? Maybe you have a lot of money to waste but I am a working mother of 3 and I don't.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Yes there are many complaints from people who got no credits at all. Based on your post, you got exactly what you were supposed to get. Besides, how is it ATT's fault your old carrier is billing you $1200 to leave? You ask what's the purpose. The reason to switch should only be because you were unhappy with your old carrier's coverage or plans. As stated previously, the switch offer at best is break even, it is not a money making offer. Yes, you may well have been better off not trading the phones in since your iPhones would have worked perfectly on ATT, but you still would have had that $1200 bill.

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

7 years ago

I asked about keeping my old phones when I signed up for the service and was told that T-Mobile puts an lock on their phones and I would have to pay to have them unlocked . I was told this by an Att representative. I am not looking to make money but break even. How am I breaking even? I don't owe T-Mobile money for a bill , I owe them for the remaining phone balances . I have not received any money from ATT. I would have much rather have sold my own phones, paid my wireless bill with ATT, had them pay TMobile as advertised, as opposed to paying a $1200 bill at one time. ATT have my old phones which I am sure will be resold and they will receive much more credit than what was giving. Like I said , I am the only one coming out of pocket, ATT are the only ones gaining here. Not looking to make a profit

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Yes, your old phones were locked to T-Mobile but you do not pay to get them unlocked. You would have had to pay what you owed on the phones before T-Mobile would unlock them, but you do not pay for unlocking. You are right, you are not breaking even. You are getting what you owed on the phones, that's all, plus you had to buy new phones which cost more than what you owe. Did you think you were getting more? If so, why? You say you haven't gotten anything yet. You did get an initial credit when trading in the phones, didn't you? Granted, you can't use that credit to pay T-Mobile but you can use the money you don't have to pay to ATT to pay T-Mobile. You get the rest of your credit after you submit the final bill. Nowhere is it advertised that ATT would pay T-Mobile that I have ever seen. Please provide that proof.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.