For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Ericagr's profile

Scholar

• 

51 Messages

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 11:31 AM

Switcher program is a scam

I switched 5 lines to ATT. I traded my phones in and received a credit for the phones that was applied to my Att bill. I still owed money for the phones and att said they would pay any early termination fees and the balance of the phones off. But they actually subtract what the credit they give you to pay your other wireless provider off. So basically I am stuck with a $1200 bill from T-Mobile to pay out of pocket. It is a scam especially if you have multiple phones. You are being giving a credit for a phone that you give to them then they take the credit back by making you apply it to your old bill. So you will end paying on your old bill, paying activation fees, taxes so they are scamming people. I plan on filling a compliant

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It is somewhat of a scam actually.  The problem is that they don't tell you in the store that the credit you receive for your trade-ins can and should be used to get a visa gift card.  So what you would pay in the store is taxes on the phones and in about 8 weeks you should get multiple gift cards.  The gift cards for the final bill that you have to submit.  You will get one per line that covers your equipment charges for what was still owed as well as any disconnect fees, if any are applied.  Then you should get another per device that you traded in.  This is the part you have to tell them that you don't want the store credit, but they don't tell you that.  I only know this now because I got hosed and did the research afterwards and was finally told that we were supposed to opt for the gift cards instead of store credit.  Also, you don't even get the full amount of the visa cards because there is a fee charged per card that you use to pay your bill off with the previous carrier.  It's a horrible program.  If you want to switch, wait until you don't own any equipment or cancellation fees.  Once my contract is up with AT&T for the equipment, I will never give them my business again.  Not only is the program shady, but their service is horrible.  Dropped calls where I never had dropped calls before with my previous carrier and their data is a joke.  At most you can get 5Mbps download and even when I have full signal and am not over my plan data amount, it's incredibly slow.  Basically if you are not somewhere with wifi, you can't use your phone.  The only reason I switched, was because i was told my monthly bill was going to be about $50/mo lower which ended up not being the case at all.  I'm paying almost the exact same that I was but for sub-par service.  Good luck.  Sorry you got duped like I did.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

If you want to switch, wait until you don't own any equipment or cancellation fees.

That's the best practice

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@csusmcaliman, I’ve never heard about of a customer having an option of getting a visa gift card for their trade in.

You get the AT&T card in exchange for trading in your phones. The remaining amount due is on a prepaid Visa after submitting the final bill. The program has only ever reimbursed equipment installments OR an ETF, not both. I’m not sure what you might mean by a “fee that is charged.”

It is not a scam or shady, it’s just not a way for customers to make money, which a lot of people do not understand. 

The program is only offered in limited areas, so it’s basically over, so I won’t go into all of the requirements. 

It’s not AT&T ‘s fault you decided to stay even after realizing the service wasn’t great in your area. No price is low enough if you can’t use it!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@csusmcaliman wrote:

It is somewhat of a scam actually.  The problem is that they don't tell you in the store that the credit you receive for your trade-ins can and should be used to get a visa gift card.  So what you would pay in the store is taxes on the phones and in about 8 weeks you should get multiple gift cards.  The gift cards for the final bill that you have to submit.  You will get one per line that covers your equipment charges for what was still owed as well as any disconnect fees, if any are applied.  Then you should get another per device that you traded in.  This is the part you have to tell them that you don't want the store credit, but they don't tell you that.  I only know this now because I got hosed and did the research afterwards and was finally told that we were supposed to opt for the gift cards instead of store credit.  Also, you don't even get the full amount of the visa cards because there is a fee charged per card that you use to pay your bill off with the previous carrier.  It's a horrible program. 

It sounds like a great program if you follow the steps and take the time to read the offer yourself.

I think if you do it in a corporate store, the amount gets credited to your account and not a Visa Gift Card (so no fee).

If you want to switch, wait until you don't own any equipment or cancellation fees. 

Obviously, that would be best, this program seems like it is for people who can't wait (and now is more limited by geography).

Not only is the program shady, but their service is horrible.  Dropped calls where I never had dropped calls before with my previous carrier and their data is a joke.  At most you can get 5Mbps download and even when I have full signal and am not over my plan data amount, it's incredibly slow.  

I'm paying almost the exact same that I was but for sub-par service.

Again, if you read the offer, it would be a LOT less problematic. The service has ZERO to do with the offer. If the service stinks FOR YOU, then YOU should have returned everything the next day and this wouldn't be a 2-year issue for you.

The only reason I switched, was because i was told my monthly bill was going to be about $50/mo lower which ended up not being the case at all.    

The AT&T plan prices are posted on-line. Are you paying something different than what was posted?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I had the same issue they told us they would pay up to $700 per line then buy our phones and that money would go towards our new AT&T bill now I am stuck with a $1300 bill from Verizon 😡🤬😡

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Spennington79 wrote:

I had the same issue they told us they would pay up to $700 per line then buy our phones and that money would go towards our new AT&T bill now I am stuck with a $1300 bill from Verizon 😡🤬😡

The $700 offer came from in home reps. You should contact that rep, or their supervisor for assistance if your offer was not completed.  The offer is only a phone reimbursement program.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I have been waiting for 7 months and have not received my credits and I have been sent to several departments and have not received my credits for my old devices. I have now A Sprint bill that is on my credit of $3000 because I have not received my phone credits and its been over 7 months. SCAM. I will be seeking litigation. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry, my sales agent definitely misrepresented the facts when making the sales pitch! Had I have known that my first bill I was going to get charged a month in advance totaling over $540 then you would apply my phone credits to this inflated bill and I was going to have to talk to a lot of foreigners to get answers to my questions and they all say different things about what I am to receive and how I was going to receive it seems like it was done purposely. SCAM! I didn't know I got a credit on my inflated bill until 8 months in. How did I get a $670 credit and didn't know it? SCAM! 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

People are filing complaints across the nation.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I've been in contact with all departments and was even referred to Nicole [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.] from Office of the President of ATT since 11/13/18 and never get my switcher reward for my 2 lines. Was even promised $250 each line for activating the lines with ATT and nothing happens up to now. My in home agent is also having a problem with the way ATT does all these promotions. And still waiting up to now. Need to get what T-Mobile charge me of $833.95. I switch over knowing I could save some $ from my cell phone bills but ended up paying almost double or more.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.