Need help understanding your bill?
BMB777's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, September 15th, 2018 9:04 PM

Surcharges and fees, Government taxes and Fees

Could someone help me in determining how to calculate the costs which use percentages within these sections : Federal Universal Service Charge (.179%), SC universal service charge (2.07%), and SC state sales tax- Telecom? 

I have a plan which includes mobile share data, as well as, access iPhone 4G for 3 lines.

I have not been able to find where exactly these percentages are applied in order to come to the amounts charged to my bill for each. Those I spoke with at at&t were not able to give me a very definite answer and they actually gave me multiple answers....

I believe that this information should be provided as the charges can total $20-$40 easily on my bill each month. 

I have been told they would not be applied to the amounts which go towards my iPhone installment payments (as they are supposed to be charges by the government based solely on phone usage). I have also been told they are applied solely to the access iPhone 4G charges, to the entire phone charges on the account, or applied specifically to the calls and based on usage. ( In their system automatically generated and that they are unaware how it would be applied or how the system does this)....I am also unsure as to how they would apply the "other surcharges and fees" (1.00%+ 0.37) as they deem necessary or how it would be shown in my bill if these charges were applied to my bill.  

Seeing as how it is a percent, I would assume it is applied to an amount already first determined for my bill.....

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

What is taxed is your line access fee.  

Other use is taxed separately, like roaming or long distance.  Data plan and installments are NOT taxable

Tax chart

https://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/additionalcharges/index.jsp?_requestid=740

note >.  

The amounts shown below are based on the highest fee/surcharge rates assessed in your state; your actual fees/surcharges may be less. In addition to the AT&T charges described below, you will be billed for mandatory taxes and fees imposed by federal, state, and local governments on wireless subscribers.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I have a similar issue as yours, also wondering why every other line has different surcharges & fees like City Utility Users Tax . I  upgraded 1 line to an apple product (iphone8) and the fees are more than the previous Android phone upgrade I did months earlier. It's twice the amount, also did ask about that to ATT customer service but did not give an satisfying answer, Why every line has different charges...it may be both an upgrade or existing ones? It maybe small amounts as they say but with 5 lines in the account, it's costing me a $39 government & surcharges fees.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I am also trying to understand why the government taxes and fees are different on 3 of my 4 cell phones.

Been on the phone with AT&T customer service for 1hour and 33 minutes and still on hold waiting for an answer.

12.60 for 1 line, 2.84 for 1 line and 4.90 for 2 lines

Can someone provide me an answer?  Customer Service says there's no way for them to provide an answer.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@cberg23, one of the lines has the data plan, so that line is more expensive. 

Without more details, it’s impossible to even guess on the other differences. What is the itemized breakout of those totals? Are all the lines on the same plan? Any differences (insurance, etc)? Are they all phones?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

3 Lines are on the same plan.  4th line is separate completely, so makes sense that line has a different cost.

For the 3 lines that are on the same plan, the fees are as follows (2 - 4.90) and (1- 2.84)

Type of phones are the only difference between the 3 lines.  If the cost difference was due to one having the data plan, then I would expect one to be higher and 2 lower, right?

Primary use location is the same for all 3 lines.

Government Taxes and Fees4.902.84
911 Serv Fee.50.50
911 Surcharge.06.06
City District Sales Tax.49.24
City District Sales Tax - Telecom.03 .03
City Sales Tax.49.24
City Sales Tax - Telecom.03.03
State Sales Tax3.071.51
State Sales Tax - Telecom.23.23

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

Hmmm..

The differences are in the sales tax amounts (city and states). Since those are based on percentages, it stands to reason the pricing is different for those two lines vs. the third. 

What is different about the line that is lower?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

What plan is this?   If you are on an old plan, or if some phones are on an old plan, that would effect taxes.  

$12.60?  That’s high.  Unless you have something else on the line, like roaming or long distance calls, which are taxed, that’s not normal.  

If you are looking at a customer service summary, rather than a bill, the numbers are not accurate 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Verizon charges me only $1.85/ month in taxes. I know that AT&T MUST be committing massive fraud. I canceled them last summer after 1 month and 6 days. The taxes were approximately $30. I am in dispute of my bill and could not figure out who to talk to over there about it. I'm attempting to reconcile it somehow, I'm not giving up and paying them what they want. It's SOO frustrating to reconcile and move on. I'm going to write letters addressing it to credit bureaus and any other type of agency that possibly can do something about it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@sewbrilliant wrote:

Verizon charges me only $1.85/ month in taxes. I know that AT&T MUST be committing massive fraud. I canceled them last summer after 1 month and 6 days. The taxes were approximately $30. I am in dispute of my bill and could not figure out who to talk to over there about it. I'm attempting to reconcile it somehow, I'm not giving up and paying them what they want. It's SOO frustrating to reconcile and move on. I'm going to write letters addressing it to credit bureaus and any other type of agency that possibly can do something about it.

As a former and current Verizon customer, paying $4.36 in tax on a single line, that’s highly suspect reply. 🤨

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Starting 2/2019 my taxes dropped 80% on a 5 line account ($4 cheaper on each line).  So I am being charged for the entire account what I had been charged for years for each line.  There was no explanation or notification.  It just happened.  I cannot imagine the government dropped taxes so I have to assume AT&T was overcharging $20 per month for years.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.