Smartphone Fee with Data Block

Tutor

Smartphone Fee with Data Block

Does ATT charge a smartphone fee if I'm using an Non-ATT, Unlocked phone(Umi X1 running Android 4.0)?

I have voice and unlimited text actived.  All "supposed" data is ATT blocked on the family plan since our family only used less than 5MB a month.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Professor

Re: Smartphone Fee with Data Block

hardboil wrote:

Does ATT charge a smartphone fee if I'm using an Non-ATT, Unlocked phone(Umi X1 running Android 4.0)?

I have voice and unlimited text actived.  All "supposed" data is ATT blocked on the family plan since our family only used less than 5MB a month.

According to the terms of service, if you are using a smartphone on the plan, you need a data plan. 

Realistically, if you had data blocked before you had the smartphone, I've read AT&T won't notice the smart phone and not add it for you. Your mileage may vary.

Keep in mind, picture text (MMS) is blocked as well when data is blocked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Expert

hardboil wrote:

Yes they do - they call it a mandatory data plan for smartphones, the 300MB plan is only 20.00 a month. If you don;t have it and att realizes that it is a smartphone they will automaticly add a data plan for you to make you account compliant with the published requirements.

Pay as you go is the I believe the only service that allows a smartphone without a mandatory data plan 

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
Tutor

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question with your well rounded post.  

I'll have to try to use the non-Att phone with a close to zero chance of detection before i jump ship to T-Mobile.

Message 4 of 6
Tutor

This is unfortune news,but thanks for your timely response.

Since ATT rations data, I figure by now ATT would feature rollover data since their is a steep overage pently.  I'll see if its greener on the other side when I'll switch to T-Mobiles awesome unlock phone plan.  

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

I am on an unlimite talk and text plan with all other data blocked.  Why am I being charged overage data charges?

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support