For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
hardboil's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, February 8th, 2013 8:02 AM

Smartphone Fee with Data Block

Does ATT charge a smartphone fee if I'm using an Non-ATT, Unlocked phone(Umi X1 running Android 4.0)?

I have voice and unlimited text actived.  All "supposed" data is ATT blocked on the family plan since our family only used less than 5MB a month.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@hardboil wrote:

Does ATT charge a smartphone fee if I'm using an Non-ATT, Unlocked phone(Umi X1 running Android 4.0)?

I have voice and unlimited text actived.  All "supposed" data is ATT blocked on the family plan since our family only used less than 5MB a month.

Yes they do - they call it a mandatory data plan for smartphones, the 300MB plan is only 20.00 a month. If you don;t have it and att realizes that it is a smartphone they will automaticly add a data plan for you to make you account compliant with the published requirements.

Pay as you go is the I believe the only service that allows a smartphone without a mandatory data plan 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

11 years ago

@hardboil wrote:

According to the terms of service, if you are using a smartphone on the plan, you need a data plan. 

Realistically, if you had data blocked before you had the smartphone, I've read AT&T won't notice the smart phone and not add it for you. Your mileage may vary.

Keep in mind, picture text (MMS) is blocked as well when data is blocked.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question with your well rounded post.  

I'll have to try to use the non-Att phone with a close to zero chance of detection before i jump ship to T-Mobile.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

This is unfortune news,but thanks for your timely response.

Since ATT rations data, I figure by now ATT would feature rollover data since their is a steep overage pently.  I'll see if its greener on the other side when I'll switch to T-Mobiles awesome unlock phone plan.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I am on an unlimite talk and text plan with all other data blocked.  Why am I being charged overage data charges?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.