Need help understanding your bill?
mystert's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013 6:04 PM

Smart Limits glitch

Earlier this month I purchased the Smart Limits plan for my daughters phone whom I have on my account. My daughters phone has a 2GB plan for data. So, when I set up the Smart Limits I put the limit at 2GB. AT&T's data service automatically adds an additional 1GB if she exhaust the 2GBs. When I set up the Smart Limits account I was told that setting the limit a 2GB would stop all data service on her phone once that limit was reached.

Well she reached her 2GB limit and the account was billed for an additional 1GB, despite the Smart Limit service I am paying for. So I call customer service and I am told that there is a glitch in the software where the Smart Limit does not kick in before the automatic additional 1GB is added to the account and I am billed an extra $10. The Customer Rep gave me a credit for the $10 and says they are working on the glitch. She suggest I set mt Smart Limit to 1.8 GB so the Smart Limit will kick in before the automatic 1 GB gets added and I am billed for another $10. I explain to her that I am paying for 2 GB and I expect to get what I pay for. I tell her I'll just call Customer Service when this happens until they fix the glitch. Then I am told that if I call repeatly for credits that I would be categorized as an abusive customer.

So here is the Orwellian situation that AT&T has created for me. They have a glitch in their software that bills me for additional data usage because the service I am paying for to stop data usage at 2GB does not stop the additional billing. And if I call to rectify the situation repeatedly I will be categorized as an abusive customer. So AT&Ts technical problem is made the customers problem and the customer is stigmatized if they ask for it to be corrected ?!?!?

I told the customer rep that if I am categorized as an abusive customer then I will cancel my service and find another provider that appreciates my business and does not abuse their customers in this way.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, mystert!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear that your Smart Limits feature isn't working as it's supposed to. If you don't mind, please send us a private messge by clicking here so we can fix this as quickly as possible.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@mystert wrote:

Earlier this month I purchased the Smart Limits plan for my daughters phone whom I have on my account. My daughters phone has a 2GB plan for data. So, when I set up the Smart Limits I put the limit at 2GB. AT&T's data service automatically adds an additional 1GB if she exhaust the 2GBs. When I set up the Smart Limits account I was told that setting the limit a 2GB would stop all data service on her phone once that limit was reached.

Well she reached her 2GB limit and the account was billed for an additional 1GB, despite the Smart Limit service I am paying for. So I call customer service and I am told that there is a glitch in the software where the Smart Limit does not kick in before the automatic additional 1GB is added to the account and I am billed an extra $10. The Customer Rep gave me a credit for the $10 and says they are working on the glitch. She suggest I set mt Smart Limit to 1.8 GB so the Smart Limit will kick in before the automatic 1 GB gets added and I am billed for another $10. I explain to her that I am paying for 2 GB and I expect to get what I pay for. I tell her I'll just call Customer Service when this happens until they fix the glitch. Then I am told that if I call repeatly for credits that I would be categorized as an abusive customer.

So here is the Orwellian situation that AT&T has created for me. They have a glitch in their software that bills me for additional data usage because the service I am paying for to stop data usage at 2GB does not stop the additional billing. And if I call to rectify the situation repeatedly I will be categorized as an abusive customer. So AT&Ts technical problem is made the customers problem and the customer is stigmatized if they ask for it to be corrected ?!?!?

I told the customer rep that if I am categorized as an abusive customer then I will cancel my service and find another provider that appreciates my business and does not abuse their customers in this way.

Did you consider setting the Smart Limit to 1.999 or something just below 2GB? 

Guru

• 

294 Messages

10 years ago

Is it a smartphone? smart limits does not work with smartphones.

"Does not work for limiting or restricting data usage on tablets and non-LTE BlackBerry devices, or while user is on Wi-Fi."

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-SmartLimitsForWireless

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I've had the same problem and it still has yet to be fixed so I continue to call every single month and they give me rude costumer service...I tell them to read the notes and see what has been going on.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

@ujmnz wrote:

Is it a smartphone? smart limits does not work with smartphones.

"Does not work for limiting or restricting data usage on tablets and non-LTE BlackBerry devices, or while user is on Wi-Fi."

http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-SmartLimitsForWireless

smart limits work on smartphones. i had it on my nephews smartphone, and it worked perfectly fine. he didnt go over his limit and therefore, i wasnt charged extra. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.