Need help understanding your bill?
AtWrlesFAN's profile

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

Sunday, December 31st, 2017 12:22 AM

Scam Alert - Apple Watch 3 Credit Check, $150 Deposit Demand

So I bought an Apple Watch from Apple. 

Went to to activate it. Was ready for the 25 “activation charge” and the 10/month.  Both seem a little high, but hey, what are you going to do?

But of course, that wasn’t enough for AT&T, now they are demanding to run a credit check? For a Watch that I paid for?

And then they come back with... you’ll need a $150 deposit?!?

Wait... For a watch? That I bought? That I'm going to pay you $10/month for "service". Attached to my current number. And... the kicker, I have a very good credit rating. 

Oh and get this, and I’m a customer with multiple devices on multiple plans that yes, sends AT&T Wireless a very good chunk of change each month. 

I think some bean counter must have though that a customer having to activate a watch on a plan they already have, attached to a phone they already have, means they are pretty much stuck unless they want to move their phone over so came up with the "hey, why just do $25 dollars to activate when we do a "credit check" and then make them put down $150 deposit"  Which we can then pocket for a year, invest, make some interest and then send them a paper check next year that they will probably forget about or lose and not even deposit. Ha, we win!

And also I have space in my other plans to add a device, but of course, they make you buy a separate "Unlimited Wearable Plan" for some reason.

Time me to send a letter to Congress. This is just a plain old scam. 

Contacting Apple tomorrow as well. Just to let them know how AT&T Wireless are bilking their Apple Watch customers.

$150 deposit. For a 10/month plan. For a watch, I own. A deposit? What on Earth for? So wrong. 

Oh and the first Apple Watch Series 3 I activated in Sept didn’t have this deposit requirement. So this must be a new racket they are running. 

I’ll be starting to move my devices over to Verizon based on this experience. 

For all others here. Watch out... when you activate your watch... because AT&T is going to watch your deposit money going into their account... and have a good ol' laugh. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@AtWrlesFAN wrote:

Adding a new line to a brand new new Account throws up a red flag in the automated system.  

It may actually be "Activating an Apple Watch to an existing account" throws up "Get $150 from them!" in the automated system.  

I've seen a few reports of this, but there would be a LOT more if that were the case.

People bring this up occasionally in forums when they cross the tipping point of when it gets generated.

I've seen lots of stories where people say they have gotten it waved in a corporate store (have not seen this much lately); I figured I'd always ask in a store if they required a deposit for me (I'd show up after work with a dress shirt, not all sweaty after a bicycle ride, you'd have to "sell" the appearance that a deposit isn't necessary).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

100% agree. 

Money making scheme.

Credit check (your actual credit score) has nothing to do with it. CS rep told me it's their internal 'credit check'.

Requested Supervisor but didn't get any further with him. Didn't seem to flinch when telling them I would move my business elsewhere.

I will give it one more try but am committed to switching if they don't wave the deposit. Ridiculous! 

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

@holgerv The only thing that worked for me was to shut down one of my plans and move it to Verizon. That at least made me feel good after being insulted by AT&T demanding a $150 deposit, for a watch, when I send them many times that much a month for plans, or at least I used to.

Crazy thing was, after telling them if they did this to me, that I would move my plan to Verizon and then calling up to shut the plan down and having them tell me they'd give me a discount to stay.  So they take $150, then want to give me more to stay. So screwy.

In the end, the satisfaction of following through with the consequences of them treating me bad, was worth more than what ever little discount they were dangling to get me not to do that.  So now one of plans is with Verizon. After not using Verizon for a while, AT&T sent me back. 

Next time they should just not nickel and dime high paying customers with a stupid $150 for a watch and save us all the time and aggravation. 

But yeah, I recommend switching. Its good to have accounts with both. So then you can move things around when they pull stuff like $150 for watch activation. 

Seriously, what are they thinking targeting Apple Watch customers with this?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@holgerv wrote:

100% agree. 

Money making scheme.

Credit check (your actual credit score) has nothing to do with it. CS rep told me it's their internal 'credit check'.

Requested Supervisor but didn't get any further with him. Didn't seem to flinch when telling them I would move my business elsewhere.

I will give it one more try but am committed to switching if they don't wave the deposit. Ridiculous! 

Walk into a COR STORE...  Tell them what you want to do...  When they say they need a deposit ask for the manager....  Tell manager you want an exception to the deposit...  They will send it off to the district manager to get it approved.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@AtWrlesFAN wrote:

@holgerv The only thing that worked for me was to shut down one of my plans and move it to Verizon. That at least made me feel good after being insulted by AT&T demanding a $150 deposit, for a watch, when I send them many times that much a month for plans, or at least I used to.

Crazy thing was, after telling them if they did this to me, that I would move my plan to Verizon and then calling up to shut the plan down and having them tell me they'd give me a discount to stay.  So they take $150, then want to give me more to stay. So screwy.

In the end, the satisfaction of following through with the consequences of them treating me bad, was worth more than what ever little discount they were dangling to get me not to do that.  So now one of plans is with Verizon. After not using Verizon for a while, AT&T sent me back. 

Next time they should just not nickel and dime high paying customers with a stupid $150 for a watch and save us all the time and aggravation. 

But yeah, I recommend switching. Its good to have accounts with both. So then you can move things around when they pull stuff like $150 for watch activation. 

Seriously, what are they thinking targeting Apple Watch customers with this?

@AtWrlesFAN

again its not just apple watch customers so get over yourself....  Deposits can be triggered on any device or line being added.  Someone was complaining about a 500 dollar deposit the other day on a tablet line.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Seen many posts about 150 for apple watch.

Sure there are plenty of other deposits.

But there is something about this 150 for watch on people with fine credit that feels particularly 100% scam.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@AtWrlesFAN wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

Seen many posts about 150 for apple watch.

Sure there are plenty of other deposits.

But there is something about this 150 for watch on people with fine credit that feels particularly 100% scam.

@AtWrlesFAN

again this is why I deal with a person in a store....  I dont like seeing stories like yours because while I agree att can do what they want a deposit on a line that is using a paid for device is stupid...  Its not a SCAM tho...  Just stupid rules that need updated from back in the contract days....

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

They are taking $150 from people randomly for Apple Watch Activations.

Of course it is a scam. 

Scholar

• 

335 Messages

6 years ago

how could that be a scam if the deposit can be refunded in the event?

even in different company whether its a network provider or not, credit evaluation is a requirement to check if your financially capable for the service. its an sop

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

That's the thing. I shouldn't have to walk into a store, ask for a manager, worry about my appearance, beg for mercy...............

This deposit requirement is outright unacceptable. Nothing will change at ATT unless enough customers leave. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.