For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
AtWrlesFAN's profile

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

Sunday, December 31st, 2017 12:22 AM

Scam Alert - Apple Watch 3 Credit Check, $150 Deposit Demand

So I bought an Apple Watch from Apple. 

Went to to activate it. Was ready for the 25 “activation charge” and the 10/month.  Both seem a little high, but hey, what are you going to do?

But of course, that wasn’t enough for AT&T, now they are demanding to run a credit check? For a Watch that I paid for?

And then they come back with... you’ll need a $150 deposit?!?

Wait... For a watch? That I bought? That I'm going to pay you $10/month for "service". Attached to my current number. And... the kicker, I have a very good credit rating. 

Oh and get this, and I’m a customer with multiple devices on multiple plans that yes, sends AT&T Wireless a very good chunk of change each month. 

I think some bean counter must have though that a customer having to activate a watch on a plan they already have, attached to a phone they already have, means they are pretty much stuck unless they want to move their phone over so came up with the "hey, why just do $25 dollars to activate when we do a "credit check" and then make them put down $150 deposit"  Which we can then pocket for a year, invest, make some interest and then send them a paper check next year that they will probably forget about or lose and not even deposit. Ha, we win!

And also I have space in my other plans to add a device, but of course, they make you buy a separate "Unlimited Wearable Plan" for some reason.

Time me to send a letter to Congress. This is just a plain old scam. 

Contacting Apple tomorrow as well. Just to let them know how AT&T Wireless are bilking their Apple Watch customers.

$150 deposit. For a 10/month plan. For a watch, I own. A deposit? What on Earth for? So wrong. 

Oh and the first Apple Watch Series 3 I activated in Sept didn’t have this deposit requirement. So this must be a new racket they are running. 

I’ll be starting to move my devices over to Verizon based on this experience. 

For all others here. Watch out... when you activate your watch... because AT&T is going to watch your deposit money going into their account... and have a good ol' laugh. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

"So he just added a line yesterday and now you're adding another line today.

That's not a deposit for just a watch line, it's a second line added in two days."

We did not add a line the previous day - we simply switched account responsibility from me to him to be able to take advantage of his military discount.  So, I was trying to add 1 additional line only for the watch.  Plus, they had to run a credit check for the switch (just one day prior).

I do understand now that the employee in the store was incorrect when stating that there was a charge to run the credit check; and he did not say at any point in time that it would be returned.  This was explained when I called AT&T directly.

Whether the payment history is his or mine, every single phone number in the plan has been the same for 20+ years and they absolutely have the ability to see the payment history.  They also see that my husband has been on the same account for that same amount of time and that our last names are the same; thus no change in how the bill will be paid. 

I think that we all need to call this what it really is - an opportunity for AT&T to sit on and make interest on millions of dollars for one year.  How many Apple 3 watches have been sold in the last month??  I, personally, would be happier paying a $25 activation fee than feeling that I am being extorted. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@RobertaG wrote:

"So he just added a line yesterday and now you're adding another line today.

That's not a deposit for just a watch line, it's a second line added in two days."

We did not add a line the previous day - we simply switched account responsibility from me to him to be able to take advantage of his military discount.  So, I was trying to add 1 additional line only for the watch.  Plus, they had to run a credit check for the switch (just one day prior).

I do understand now that the employee in the store was incorrect when stating that there was a charge to run the credit check; and he did not say at any point in time that it would be returned.  This was explained when I called AT&T directly.

Whether the payment history is his or mine, every single phone number in the plan has been the same for 20+ years and they absolutely have the ability to see the payment history.  They also see that my husband has been on the same account for that same amount of time and that our last names are the same; thus no change in how the bill will be paid. 

I think that we all need to call this what it really is - an opportunity for AT&T to sit on and make interest on millions of dollars for one year.  How many Apple 3 watches have been sold in the last month??  I, personally, would be happier paying a $25 activation fee than feeling that I am being extorted. 

Well holy left out information Batman! The account is now considered brand new, new Account owner. Your credit and payment history doesn’t go with the account. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

lizdance - this information was NOT left out, if you had taken the time to read from the very beginning.  What you read was a portion of my response to garylapointe.  I completely understand that this is a "new" account, but a credit check run by AT&T just one day prior allowed him to transfer an account that is billed $350+ monthly to him; and that was immediate.  Now they feel that he is a risk to pay $10/month for an additional line?  Sorry, but this does not add up.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

One more thing - when speaking with the AT&T rep yesterday (not the store), she informed me that after the credit check and if it was approved, there would still be a $150 deposit required.  Unless, she was incorrect, the credit report has nothing to do with whether or not a deposit is required. 

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

I think that we all need to call this what it really is - an opportunity for AT&T to sit on and make interest on millions of dollars for one year. 

It's pretty obvious this is what this is. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@RobertaG

Adding a new line to a brand new new Account throws up a red flag in the automated system.  

Doesnt mean ATT isn’t ridiculous, but it might be why.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@RobertaG wrote:

Yes, you added a line to his account. That's not your line any more, it's his NEW LINE. And it sounds like it's multiple lines.

For example, I was on someone else's plan and eventually did a ToBR to put it in my name. MY time with AT&T is now measured from when I got the new account, not when I started with AT&T.)

I completely understand that this is a "new" account, but a credit check run by AT&T just one day prior allowed him to transfer an account that is billed $350+ monthly to him; and that was immediate.  

$350!!!! That sounds like it's MULTIPLE lines (4 or 5?), I thought it was one line?? That's even more of a flag.

Now they feel that he is a risk to pay $10/month for an additional line?  Sorry, but this does not add up.

Do you think that "they" is a person looking this up? It's probably a computer. The computer sees a ToBR for a new account and another line is being added, then the computer likely does some calculations, adds up the total of the points that they use for such things (and maybe dings a few points for suspicious activity for adding a new line a day later) and you've crossed their threshold for a deposit.

THE POINT IS, you're acting like you only added one line and that's not the case.  You added $350 to his name and then another $10.

I feel like you're saying "I qualify for a $30,000 loan, why don't I qualify for a $30,033 loan, it's only $33 more?" That's because your limit is $30,025, it's very likely just some some number that the computer determined a limit, it's not that they're being mean about $33.  Now, to make the sale a salesperson is likely to get that overridden (or drop to price $8 to make the sale).

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@RobertaG wrote:

One more thing - when speaking with the AT&T rep yesterday (not the store), she informed me that after the credit check and if it was approved, there would still be a $150 deposit required.  Unless, she was incorrect, the credit report has nothing to do with whether or not a deposit is required. 

I think there is some terminology issues here.  I can't say for you, but a credit check (whenever I've done it) is not PASS/FAIL. It's a score and information.  That's IF you're talking a credit check with the credit bureaus, you don't "fail" a credit check (unless you gave the wrong name or SS). 

Your score combined and details combined with the number of lines/devices on your plan might be used to determine if AT&T wants to require a deposit after a certain number of lines or devices.

I'm sure this is also based on the time of an account and showing you can make payments. FOR YOUR husband, only one day has gone by since you added $350 a MONTH to your husbands account and there is no recent payment history on that account for that amount.  (It doesn't matter that you've had those lines for 20 years, he has not)

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

Adding a new line to a brand new new Account throws up a red flag in the automated system.  

It may actually be "Activating an Apple Watch to an existing account" throws up "Get $150 from them!" in the automated system.  

Which is yes ridiculous and very unfair.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@AtWrlesFAN wrote:

Which is yes ridiculous and very unfair.

No one said a company's policies have to be sane or fair. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.