Need help understanding your bill?
snoqualmie7's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 12:54 AM

Restrictions around canceling a line

Greetings everyone! new to the forums, I have a question I haven't seen answered...hope someone can help!

I am considering AT&T's BOGO offer on the iPhone 8s. That offer requires a new line of service. I don't need a new line of service, but I am wondering: if I add a line to receive this offer, is there any reason I can't cancel one of my other lines of service, as long as the contract on that line is paid off and I don't care about saving the number associated with that line? Does AT&T have any sort of restrictions around canceling a line? (especially around the time you are adding a line to qualify for an offer?)

As far as I can tell, there are no obligations to maintain a line after the contract on that line is paid off, but I wanted to be sure. We have an "extra" line we aren't using, so if I am able to cancel that one, I can use the new line from the iPhone 8 BOGO offer for my daughter who is getting her first phone.

Thanks in advance for any help!

snoqualmie7

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

No problem with opening a new line to get the BOGO and cancelling another line. I know folks who did just that earlier this year to get a free iPhone 7. 

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

If I add a new line on AT&T to get the new iPhone 12 pro max, can I cancel the line I just added? 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Blkile You can; however, any installments on the new phone would come due immediately. No further promo credits would be applied to that line. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

3 years ago

@Blkile

If you just want to purchase an iPhone 12 without installments, you might also want to purchase one that's not locked to AT&T. In that case, buy the phone directly from Apple.  You can purchase a Sim free unlocked version of an iPhone from Apple at full price.  No carrier involvement or fees.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.